4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 7:47 AM by Stuart Fleming RSS

Proper Steps for Deployment

Stuart Fleming
      I have just completed a youtube video on this subject, available here: http://youtu.be/xAzBVvwYOZU

I am compiling a list of all the steps necessary to deploy an ADF application. The application to be deployed has a model and view controller project, and has security. It runs in the integrated weblogic server. I have created a stand-alone weblogic domain using the configuration wizard that comes with jdeveloper, creating a testing domain as outlined in source #2. The users and Enterprise Roles were added to the Stand-alone Weblogic Server, and a datasource was created.

Sources:
      #1 http://download.oracle.com/otn_hosted_doc/jdeveloper/11gdemos/adf_security1/adf_security1.html
      #2 http://www.quovera.com/whitepapers/downloads/nocoug_2012_deployment_doc.pdf (this is the same as the deployment chapter of the Oracle 11g Handbook by Duncan and Peter (same authors as the whitepaper).
      #3 Oracle Fusion Developer Guide, Frank Nimphius
      #4 https://blogs.oracle.com/shay/entry/shorter_url_for_your_adf

Below are the steps I have deemed necessary. At the bottom are some questions I would appreciate help with. I know this is a long list, but I kept on finding references to different steps and need a comprehensive list.

Model Project
      1. Open Application Module.
      a. Change the Application Module "XXXServiceLocal" configuration from "JDBC URL" to "JDBC DATASOURCE". (FYI: From the string "java:comp/env/jdbc/hrDS" use this part "jdbc/hrDS" to configure the Weblogic datasource).

-- Note: After making this setting when you run this application with the integrated Weblogic server, you may suffer slower undeployments.

View Controller
      -- double click to open -- Source #2
      2. Select "Java EE Application"
      a. Change "Java EE Web Application Name" to the name of your application ex: HRApp
      b. Change "Java EE Web Context Root" so same as above. ex: HRApp

3. Select "Dependencies"
      a. The model of the project should be checked. If not, then press add and select model, "Build Output"

4. Select "Deployment"
      b. Change the WAR File file name to same name as #2 ex: HRApp.war

Application Properties Menu
      - Open from Menu -> Application then Deployment

6. select "Deployment", Create new Or Edit the existing entry. Select "General"
      a. Change the "EAR file" to name of application. ex: HRApp.
      b. Change the "Application Name" to name of application. ex: HRApp.

e. Select "Application Assemply"
      f. Make sure the View Controller node is Checked, Model is NOT Checked. -- this should contain only the view controller.
      g. exit

weblogic deployment node (under the deployment tree) -- Source #2
      7. expand tree and click on weblogic. Press "Load Extension" button if necessary.

b. CHECK "Application Policies"

c. UNCHECK "Credentials" (see note below: If you configured users and groups using the ADF Security in JDeveloper, then you need to keep it checked. )

d. UNCHECK "Users and Groups"
      e. UNCHECK "Auto Generate And Synchronise Weblogic JDBC Descripters During Deployment"

-- Note, once these are changed, the application will not run with the integrated Weblogic Server.

Jazn-data.xml
      - - Source #3 page 717
      8. find the string:
      <policy-store>
           <applications>
                <application>
                     <name>HRApp</name>

Verify that the application name <name>HRApp</name> is the same as in #2 ex: HRApp

Web.xml
      - Source #4
      9. Update the <url-pattern>/faces/*</url-pattern> to same as in #2 ex: HRApp (this is in the URL at runtime). Shay lists other settings also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Questions:

#1 In step 1a the Application Module shared setting does not need to be updated.

#2: In Source #1 (3 min 45 seconds into video) He leaves "Credentials" checked. In Source #2, they uncheck the credentials. Which is Correct?

#3 In Frank Nimphius's book he says to make sure the jazn-data.xml file is updated (as done in step 8). Top of 717. I haven't seen this mentioned in other documentation.

*#4 Are all the steps correct?* I realize that many of the steps are just to make the URL etc prettier, but for a proper application, they should be implemented.
      Steps #1, 3, 6, 7 and 8 are essential settings to make.

Edited by: Stuart Fleming on Nov 19, 2012 5:44 AM

Edited by: Stuart Fleming on Nov 22, 2012 5:31 PM -- Updated the order in Step #6

Edited by: Stuart Fleming on Nov 22, 2012 5:56 PM
        • 1. Re: Proper Steps for Deployment
          user404
          Stuart Fleming wrote:

#1 In step 1a the Application Module shared setting does not need to be updated.

#2: In Source #1 (3 min 45 seconds into video) He leaves "Credentials" checked. In Source #2, they uncheck the credentials. Which is Correct?

#3 In Frank Nimphius's book he says to make sure the jazn-data.xml file is updated (as done in step 8). Top of 717. I haven't seen this mentioned in other documentation.

*#4 Are all the steps correct?* I realize that many of the steps are just to make the URL etc prettier, but for a proper application, they should be implemented.
          Steps #1, 3, 6, 7 and 8 are essential settings to make.
          1. That's correct.
          2. It depends. If you want to use security (login and so on) and configure your LDAP on Weblogic, then I you could uncheck it. If you are not planning on using an external LDAP or any form of securtiy, you can leave it checked.
          3. Same as step 2. This depends on the security aspect of your use case.
          4. If you follow those steps, you should be able to perform a perfect deployment.

So 2) and 3) really depend on the security aspect.
          If you want to move you whole application to Production, uncheck it. If you still in development or testing phase, just leave it checked.
          • 2. Re: Proper Steps for Deployment
            Stuart Fleming
            Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, I forgot to mention that in a production environment, and that you would likely use an LDAP. I would make this test server as production-like as possible -- even though I would not be using LDAP, I will configure users, groups etc -- so I would uncheck it..... (did I get this right?)

Also, just curious, the section where you quoted me is in gray, what did you do to get that to work like that?

Stuart
            • 3. Re: Proper Steps for Deployment
              user404
              Stuart Fleming wrote:
              Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, I forgot to mention that in a production environment, and that you would likely use an LDAP. I would make this test server as production-like as possible -- even though I would not be using LDAP, I will configure users, groups etc -- so I would uncheck it..... (did I get this right?)

Also, just curious, the section where you quoted me is in gray, what did you do to get that to work like that?

Stuart
              If you configured users and groups using the ADF Security in JDeveloper, then you need to keep it checked.

For the off-topic part. In the toolbar just press " (next to to abc icon). If you use 'reply' on a forum post of course.
              • 4. Re: Proper Steps for Deployment
                Stuart Fleming
                Thank you very much for your help.

Stuart