This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 7:59 PM by pkpanda RSS

APEX and iText PDF generation

pkpanda Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Has any one used iText in apex to generate PDF documents in APEX. The reason for me to look for a solution to generate PDF documents like invoice, Purchase Order for different customer in different format. Since the online hosting companies have different reporting services like (JasperReport/Oracle BI publisher etc) it is a pain full procedure to have rtf and XML-FO. If I use iText within the PL/SQL procedure which will generate PDF document by supplying PDF form and XML data.

In this case the client can create there PDF form which can be filled by XML data.

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: APEX and iText PDF generation
    matthew_morris Expert
    I have not used iText. Looks interesting.

However, I have used PDFTK (www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/) as an interface to allow me to fill in PDF forms from Apex. I won't claim that it was painless to set up the code to do it, but it works fairly well for me.
  • 2. Re: APEX and iText PDF generation
    pkpanda Explorer
    Thanks Matthew, I had a look but seems like I have use command line to execute the process. I want to generate from PL/SQL. Basically load the jar file to the database and generate from pl/sql and store the pdf in database table.
  • 3. Re: APEX and iText PDF generation
    matthew_morris Expert
    I had a look but seems like I have use command line to execute the process.
    You do.
    I want to generate from PL/SQL.
    My package does. Mind you -- I have to make use of a host command to perform the actual integration. When a process 'prints' to a PDF, it supplies the PDF form to be filled in, the specific fields to be filled in, and the values for the fields. I write these values out to an FDF file for the appropriate PDF form on the OS, then call PDFTK via a host command to integrate the blank PDF and the newly-created FDF into a 'filled' PDF form. I then email the completed PDF file to the user that requested it.
  • 4. Re: APEX and iText PDF generation
    pkpanda Explorer
    moved to HTML5

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points