2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 12:48 PM by 975114 RSS

ChecksumExceptions in read only mode

I'm using SleepycatJE 3.3.87 to read from multiple BDBs that are in read-only mode. Recently I've started get ChecksumExceptions after my application runs for awhile. I tried upgrading to 5.0.58 and rebuilt my BDBs, but no luck. The error I am seeing is:

(JE 5.0.58) Environment must be closed, caused by: com.sleepycat.je.EnvironmentFailureException: Environment invalid because of previous exception: (JE 5.0.58) /apollo/env/timex/bdb com.sleepycat.je.log.ChecksumException: Location 0xf/0x6533b expected 112421487 got 3809318525 LOG_CHECKSUM: Checksum invalid on read, log is likely invalid. Environment is invalid and must be closed. fetchTarget of 0xf/0x6533b parent IN=14282 IN class=com.sleepycat.je.tree.IN lastFullVersion=0xf/0x9720a lastLoggedVersion=0xf/0x9720a parent.getDirty()=false state=0 { com.amazon.timex.classification.ClassificationException: (JE 5.0.58) Environment must be closed, caused by: com.sleepycat.je.EnvironmentFailureException: Environment invalid because of previous exception: (JE 5.0.58) /apollo/env/timex/bdb com.sleepycat.je.log.ChecksumException: Location 0xf/0x6533b expected 112421487 got 3809318525 LOG_CHECKSUM: Checksum invalid on read, log is likely invalid. Environment is invalid and must be closed. fetchTarget of 0xf/0x6533b parent IN=14282 IN class=com.sleepycat.je.tree.IN lastFullVersion=0xf/0x9720a lastLoggedVersion=0xf/0x9720a parent.getDirty()=false state=0

Any help?
        • 1. Re: ChecksumExceptions in read only mode
          greybird
          Hi,
          I'm using SleepycatJE 3.3.87 to read from multiple BDBs that are in read-only mode. Recently I've started get ChecksumExceptions after my application runs for awhile. I tried upgrading to 5.0.58 and rebuilt my BDBs, but no luck. The error I am seeing is:
          I have a few questions.

Is the exception in a read-only env? And is there a process writing at the same time?

When you say you've upgraded and rebuilt your databases, do you mean that you started again from an empty environment directory? How long did it take for the error to occur again after you rebuilt the databases?

Please run the DbVerifyLog utility on the environment and post the complete stack trace along with a listing (ls -l) of the environment directory.

Thanks,
          --mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          • 2. Re: ChecksumExceptions in read only mode
            Is the exception in a read-only env? And is there a process writing at the same time?
            It is a read-only env. Not other process is writing at the same time.
            When you say you've upgraded and rebuilt your databases, do you mean that you started again from an empty environment directory? How long did it take for the error to occur again after you rebuilt the databases?
            I mean I build the BDBs from scratch on another machine and deploy them with my application to several servers. I upgraded to 5.0.58 in both the build tool and the application. The error occurs randomly, but usually after the application runs for several hours.
            Please run the DbVerifyLog utility on the environment and post the complete stack trace along with a listing (ls -l) of the environment directory.
            I'll try running this.

Thanks greybird.