11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 1:22 AM by Aman.... RSS

Oracle product usage

Dear All,

I have Oracle configured on enteprise edition and standard edition 10g, 11g. I haven't purchased any dignostic packs separately.

Can I use AWR to collect statistics. Also Can I use OEM DB console.

How to check which products are free and which needs to be licensed?
        • 1. Re: Oracle product usage
          rp0428
          If you haven't purchased the diagnostic pack you can't run AWR reports.

See the feature/option comparison of the 11g Editions
          http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/product-editions-066501.html

And see the Licensing Information doc
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594.pdf
          • 2. Re: Oracle product usage
            rp0428 wrote:
            If you haven't purchased the diagnostic pack you can't run AWR reports.
            AWR Repository and services are created by default. Do I need to drop the repository? What about OEM ?
            • 3. Re: Oracle product usage
              rp0428
              See the licensing doc (page 2-21) I referenced. It shows how to use OEM to make sure the diagnostic and other unlicensed features are disabled.
              >
              Enterprise Manager
              To determine which links in Enterprise Manager Grid Control and Database Control
              are part of Oracle Diagnostics Pack, click the Setup link on the top right-hand part of
              the Enterprise Manager Home page.
              ■ When you click the Setup link, the navigation bar contains the Management Pack
              Access link. Click this link.
              ■ This will take you to the Management Pack Access page, which allows you to
              grant and remove access from all the management packs.
              – For Enterprise Manager Database Control, click the Remove Access radio
              button for the Diagnostics Pack and click Apply.
              – For Enterprise Manager Grid Control, click the appropriate check box for the
              Diagnostics Pack and click Apply.
              This procedure disables all the links and tabs associated with Oracle Diagnostics Pack
              in Enterprise Manager. All the disabled links and tabs are part of Oracle Diagnostics
              Pack and therefore require a pack license.
              • 4. Re: Oracle product usage
                rp0428 wrote:
                See the licensing doc (page 2-21) I referenced. It shows how to use OEM to make sure the diagnostic and other unlicensed features are disabled.
                Please post the link you have referred to.

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Oracle product usage
                  rp0428
                  I did.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle product usage
                    Girish Sharma
                    I think below thread may also be of your interest :
                    Change Management pack and Tuning Packs Usage
                    Change Management pack and Tuning Packs Usage

And for this there is separate forum [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=220] Enterprise Manager .

Regards
                    Girish Sharma
                    • 7. Re: Oracle product usage
                      Girish Sharma
                      In addition to that [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/oem-packs-overview-195704.html]Overview of Oracle Enterprise Manager Management Packs  may also be a good page for study.

Regards
                      Girish Sharma
                      • 8. Re: Oracle product usage
                        rp0428 wrote:
                        >
                        Enterprise Manager
                        To determine which links in Enterprise Manager Grid Control and Database Control
                        are part of Oracle Diagnostics Pack, click the Setup link on the top right-hand part of
                        the Enterprise Manager Home page.
                        ■ When you click the Setup link, the navigation bar contains the Management Pack
                        Access link. Click this link.
                        ■ This will take you to the Management Pack Access page, which allows you to
                        grant and remove access from all the management packs.
                        – For Enterprise Manager Database Control, click the Remove Access radio
                        button for the Diagnostics Pack and click Apply.
                        – For Enterprise Manager Grid Control, click the appropriate check box for the
                        Diagnostics Pack and click Apply.
                        This procedure disables all the links and tabs associated with Oracle Diagnostics Pack
                        in Enterprise Manager. All the disabled links and tabs are part of Oracle Diagnostics
                        Pack and therefore require a pack license.
                        >
                        I have removed access to the Diag Pack, Tuning Pack and Configuration pack; But does that mean AWR and ADDM has stopped generating snapshots ?
                        Do I need to purge the awr repository ? what other services should be disabled in this scenerio?
                        • 9. Re: Oracle product usage
                          Aman....
                          If you don't want the automated stuff to be working like AWR /ADDM you may set the parameter statistics_level=basic .
                          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams251.htm#REFRN10214

Aman....
                          • 10. Re: Oracle product usage
                            Aman.... wrote:
                            If you don't want the automated stuff to be working like AWR /ADDM you may set the parameter statistics_level=basic .
                            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams251.htm#REFRN10214

Aman....
                            setting statistics_level='BASIC' will disable ASMM and auto tune of SGA. Which I don't want.

Also If I try that;
                            SQL> show parameter statistics_level

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
                            ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
                            statistics_level                     string      TYPICAL
                            SQL> alter system set statistics_level='BASIC' scope=both;
                            alter system set statistics_level='BASIC' scope=both
                            ERROR at line 1:
                            ORA-02097: parameter cannot be modified because specified value is invalid
                            ORA-00830: cannot set statistics_level to BASIC with auto-tune SGA enabled
                            • 11. Re: Oracle product usage
                              Aman....
                              I can't think anything right now but how about disabling the automatic maintenance task that's enabled by default in 11g or disabling the stats gathering job ?

Aman....