This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 6:37 AM by 749763 RSS

M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF

749763 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dears,

Problem:- M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF Console

Problem Description:-

We had heavy rain last night(Jeddah, KSA...........) as an proactive measure and to avoid crash a we shutdown the M3000 and M4000 Servers...these servers are in clusters3.2 and have oracle application R12 suite, since we don't have an effective UPS we made this decision, Now we see strange behavior and we could not power on the M3000 Servers via XCSF Console. However M4000 servers are up and running.

Following are the steps i did:-

Step1 : Shut down DB and Application Services
Step2 : Shut down Cluster Services.
Step 3 : init 0
Step4 : login to XSCF Console and triggerd command "Poweroff -d 0"

Next Day................................

XSCF> Poweron -d 0
XSCF> showdomainstatus -d 0

DID Domain Status
*00 OpenBoot Execution Completed* ( it has to be running)

If am correct, the server follows the below process to execute startup process

1.The operator turns on input power.

2. XSCF starts.

3. The operator turns on the power to the server.

4. XSCF initializes the hardware.

5. The POST starts and performs an initial diagnosis of hardware.

6. OpenBoot PROM starts.

7. OpenBoot PROM starts the boot process.

8. The Oracle Solaris OS starts.

My next Action Plan ( As it is not following the above hirarchy I am now thinking of to follow the steps below, need your valuable advice)
============
1, Pull the power plug from the back of M3000 Servers.
2, Wait for 5 minutes.
3, Plug back the power plug
4, log into ok prompt and XSCF console
5, Poweron -d 0
6, start the db and application services

Thanks and Regards
Mohammed yaazdani

Edited by: user9007339 on 19/11/2012 10:34 م
  • 1. Re: M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF
    bigdelboy Pro
    Quick answer ... howfully someone gives you a better one.

Not that familiar with XFCF but suggest looking at logs and diagnostics from XFCF.

Also get for operator to report differences in fan noise from this server as you do poweron commands .... sometimes the noise (ie spin speed) of the fans tells you something!
  • 2. Re: M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF
    749763 Newbie
    Thank you for the reply...........I have performed poweron steps earlier and was successfull..........I have also read the XSCF User's Guide.... I didn't find effective solution or an alternative method, I might be missing something..........., I have also checked the logs "showlogs power" it seems both system and domain are on...........but am unable to ping those servers via putty...I dont know why?.........So, I decided to unplug and plugin the servers for fresh start
  • 3. Re: M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF
    bigdelboy Pro
    user9007339 wrote:
    Thank you for the reply...........I have performed poweron steps earlier and was successfull..........I have also read the XSCF User's Guide.... I didn't find effective solution or an alternative method, I might be missing something..........., I have also checked the logs "showlogs power" it seems both system and domain are on...........but am unable to ping those servers via putty...I dont know why?.........So, I decided to unplug and plugin the servers for fresh start
    Apologies if this seems obvious, but Have you actually connected to the XSCF console to the domain console

i.e. XSCF> console -d 0

if so you you find the domain stuck at the OBP prompt as eg auto-boot? was false ?

Its really good you look at the official documentation, sometimes a glance at a difference format helps and i might suggest a quick look down:

http://freeunixtips.com/2011/02/xscf-command-cheat-sheet/

for example. That may not be the best reference but sometimes its a different way of looking at things.
  • 4. Re: M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF
    Martin Brinkmann-Oracle Journeyer
    You can run the
    showstatus
    command on the xscf and see if anything has been disabled.
    If yes please post it here.
  • 5. Re: M3000 Servers with OS  Sparc 64bit Solaris10  doesn't Power on from XFCF
    749763 Newbie
    Hi

Indeed i was getting connected to the XSCF console.
    when i wanted to connect to domain console via command XSCF> console -f -d 0 to go to OK> prompt..........for some reason it was not taking me to OK> prompt.
    After seeing your reply and speaking to one of my freind, we followed the procedure below:-

1, connected to management console via putty.
    2, telnet to the server(eg:- telnet 192.x.x.x)
    3, Enter the administrator password.
    4, On XSCF>
    5, poweron -d 0
    6, console -d 0 ( as suggested by you and my freind)
    7, hit enter *(I was not hitting enter coz of that it was visible as if it got stuck)* this was a silly mistake indeed.
    8, OK> prompt
    9, OK> boot (Wolla the servers got started and i was able to ping)

Thanks for your support, I appreciate your help and wish you success in your career endeavors.

Regards,
    Mohammed Yaazdani

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points