This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 10:59 AM by Dude! RSS

disable oracle direct login

Ani Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,
I know how to disable direct root login. but i have to disable direct root login for oracle.i am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga).

Can some one help me ...

Regards,
Ani
  • 1. Re: disable oracle direct login
    Dude! Guru
    I'm not aware what "root login for oracle" means. Perhaps you mean to disable SSH login? In which case you can add "DenyUsers user1 user2 user3" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restart the ssh daemon using "service sshd restart"
  • 2. Re: disable oracle direct login
    Ani Newbie
    Hi Dude,
    Tnx for your help. we login via putty to remote linux box. what i want user has to login to the system using his own id . then he will do su - oracle. this is my requirement.

in my current system user is not using his own id , he is directly login with oracle..which i want to stop.
    Regards,
    Ani
  • 3. Re: disable oracle direct login
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    ....... as dude say you only have to disable ssh login for user oracle and create local user accounts on that system.
  • 4. Re: disable oracle direct login
    Dude! Guru
    You might want to keep in mind though that "su" will break X11 xauth authentication (ssh -X). Having to login as another user is another password layer, but does not necessarily give you more control who gets access. It depends on your password policies and the users maintaining them. It might be a good idea to be careful who receives the Oracle password. Not every access to Oracle requires the Oracle account password or SYSDBA access.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points