1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 9:20 AM by CL RSS

Data doubles up

Gurus,
      I have a member TX001, and the numbers under this members seems to double up.
      I have the member in right place, and even as a shared member, it is in right place.
      I have input a data of 120000 and when I try to retrieve data in excel, i see the same number in two places, 1 under TX001 and then the same duplicate value under a different member called DE001.
      What could be the issue with this?
        • 1. Re: Data doubles up
          name_and_address_withheld
          "I have a member TX001, and the numbers under this members seems to double up."

How are you loading the data? Are you saying that TX001 is doubled, and it has children? If it has children, what are the consolidation operators on those members, and what values are stored there. After you loaded data, did you run a calc? is aggregate missing values checked on the db.

So many questions.
          • 2. Re: Data doubles up
            CL
            I have the member in right place, and even as a shared member, it is in right place.
            ^^^Show us a mocked up hierarchy. It sounds like you have a shared member aggregate to a common parent which is giving you the double count.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
            • 3. Re: Data doubles up
              Hierarchy is as such
              US001
              TX001
              DE001

So both TX001 and DE001 are the children of the same parent, and this is how the data looks like when I do the retrieve:
              The number that I have for TX001 has been repeated for DE001 as well.

TX001 Capital 120000
              TX001 Operation 80000
              DE001 Capital 12000
              DE001 Operation 80000
              What could be the issue here?
              Thanks
              • 4. Re: Data doubles up
                To rule out something obvious, maybe you should make sure that the member DE001 exists in the outline. Do a Member Select on it or alternatively, turn retrieval warnings on in your Essbase Add-in options and see if what you have in your retrieve throws a warning message.

It could be that your retrieve does not recognise DE001 and is simply displaying the value for TX001, in essence making your retrieve:

TX001 Capital 120000
                TX001 Operation 80000
                TX001 Capital 12000
                TX001 Operation 80000
                • 5. Re: Data doubles up
                  CL
                  TX001 Capital 120000
                  TX001 Operation 80000
                  DE001 Capital 12000
                  DE001 Operation 80000
                  ^^^I am guessing that you meant to make DE001->Capital (or DE001.Capital if ASO) 120000, not 12000.

Given that, TX001 and DE001 are completely separate members at level zero? No shared members underneath the Great States of Texas and Delaware?

How do you know that you simply don't have the same data values in each member. If you change DE001's Operation to 12, does that show up in TX001's Operation?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
                  • 6. Re: Data doubles up
                    Hi Cameron,
                    Yes the two members are the bottom level members, and the shared members I was refering is that we have the same members under different parents as share.
                    I am also positive that they do not have the same data under those two members because of the data files we had.
                    ANY input would be great.
                    Thnaks
                    • 7. Re: Data doubles up
                      CL
                      If you cleared out the database, put the two states and the two accounts on the same sheet, and sent different values, and then retrieved the values, would you have the same values, or different ones (ones that match your input)?

I'll bet they're different. You may have double loaded data.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
                      • 8. Re: Data doubles up
                        Hi Cameron,
                        We had loaded the database yesterday, and since you had stated double-dataload, If it was the case of double-dataload, it should have affected all the members right? Not just this one. Any input on this one, as you are more experienced on this aspect.
                        Also, when we load data, if there is anything already, it is replaced right? or how does it work. For example, if we load data for TX001 and if there already is something in the cube, doesn't it get replaced with a new data?
                        Thanks
                        • 9. Re: Data doubles up
                          user12268822
                          Can you post the actual records you're trying to load?
                          • 10. Re: Data doubles up
                            It would seem that only input from CL makes any difference, so perhaps we shoudl stay out of the discussion on this one.
                            • 11. Re: Data doubles up
                              CL
                              For example, if we load data for TX001 and if there already is something in the cube, doesn't it get replaced with a new data?
                              ^^^Not necessarily so, you can have additive data loads by tagging a load rule as "Add to existing values" in the Data Load Settings dialog box. And in ASO the default load behavior is additive no matter what the load rule is set to. So if you have two loads, and one is slightly different than the other, yes, you can end up with different values.

The simplest way to test this is to take the data out of the issue. Create a new database (or app/db). Copy the outline across. Make sure it's cleared out. Go into Excel and send (or lock and send, I still don't know if this is ASO or BSO) values to TX. And then see if they show up under DE. That's assuming you don't have a formula that sticks TX values in DE.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
                              • 12. Re: Data doubles up
                                TimG
                                960127 wrote:
                                It would seem that only input from CL makes any difference, so perhaps we shoudl stay out of the discussion on this one.
                                If it makes you feel any better, the OP still hasn't actually done what CL recommended. :)
                                • 13. Re: Data doubles up
                                  Thanks a lot Cameron,
                                  I did all the alternatives and then I cleared the database and loaded the data again, and it worked fine. It might have been double load. Thanks.
                                  • 14. Re: Data doubles up
                                    These kind of threads explain exactly why I have been away from helping people for several years (different id).

This is no way explains the original issue at all. Points awarded to the experts, and nothing solved - just a "this might be it" kind of deal. Awesome.

Why is it that people are so quick to discard the obvious in search of the hard answer? The number of times I got burned because I neglected to check for what was actually staring me right in the face. Oh well c'est la vie I suppose.
                                    1 2 Previous Next