This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 6:14 AM by Martin Brinkmann-Oracle RSS

How to retrieve serial number from a SUN Fire V440

422096 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good afternoon,
In order to prepare a shipping of some machines, I am trying to collect serial numbers of all of them.
One of those is a V440.

Normally the way to retrieve the serial number is rebooting the machine, and then the serial number appears as one of the first outputs on screen.

However on this one machine I see "MACHINE_SN".

The ALOM of the machine does not know the command "showplatform".

Do you know whether there is another way to retrieve the serial number of a V440 machine?
Thanks
Dominique
  • 1. Re: How to retrieve serial number from a SUN Fire V440
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Search the Servers General Discussion forum for "sneep".
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=sneep&objID=f1009&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15

In the meantime, you may have to get someone to actually read and copy down the information from the label on the back of each system.
  • 2. Re: How to retrieve serial number from a SUN Fire V440
    422096 Newbie
    Good afternoon,
    There is no sticker attached to the machine anymore, which is the reason I'm looking for a command to get the serial number.

As far as the "sneep" and similar commands are concerned:
    prompt root#sneep
    unknown
    prompt root#sneep -v
        ChassisSerialNumber from default value :
    unknown
    prompt root#sneep -v show sources
        ChassisSerialNumber from default value :
    unknown
    prompt root#eeprom nvramrc
    nvramrc=devalias mirror /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/disk@1,0
    prompt root#smbios | grep -i "serial"
    ksh: smbios:  not found
    Can I conclude that there is no way anymore to get the serial number of that machine?
    Thanks
    Dominique
  • 3. Re: How to retrieve serial number from a SUN Fire V440
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Can I conclude that there is no way anymore to get the serial number of that machine?
    That would be correct.
    The actual serial is only on that sticker unless someone installs and uses SNEEP to write the information to the prom of a system.

In your first post of this thread you mentioned seeing something named `serial` at bootup. That is only a representation of the systemboard's MAC address and isn't a chassis serial.

Was Explorer ever installed to that V440 by any chance? If "yes" then you might hope that the serial number information was manually entered during the installation of that software tool.

Now, having said all that, there were some model systems that had the chassis serial already written at the factory, but those were the bigger (expensive) midrange boxes such as the SF3800 through SF6900 models. That doesn't help you with your V440, though.
  • 4. Re: How to retrieve serial number from a SUN Fire V440
    Martin Brinkmann-Oracle Journeyer
    If you are lucky then there is another sticker with the s/n behind the front bezel.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points