This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 10:49 AM by CyberNinja RSS

Is possible to set you MAC address on a zone?

CyberNinja Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
On our Solaris 10 servers we have shared NIC interfaces. We have a program that is having issues talking to the all zones because they have the same MAC address.
Is there a way with zonecfg or ifconfig to change the MAC on the zones?

Other wise we need to rewire the servers and I don't know if we have enough NICs for all the zones.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Edited by: CyberNinja on Nov 21, 2012 8:21 AM
  • 1. Re: Is possible to set you MAC address on a zone?
    user171873 Explorer
    If you were running Solaris 11 this would be easy. You could use Crossbow VNIC's which have their own Mac addresses. Unfortunately, these don't exist under Solaris 10. If you're using a SPARC T1 though T4 server, you could probably use the ldm command to create a vswitch (a virtual switch) and vnet devices (virtual NIC's) which have their own Mac addresses under Solaris 10. If the zones use these devices, they'll have their own Mac addresses. I'm not aware of a way to do this on standard hardware under Solaris 10. Maybe someone else knows a way of doing this with generic hardware.
  • 2. Re: Is possible to set you MAC address on a zone?
    CyberNinja Newbie
    I don't know if this helps but, most of our servers are SPARC and are blades on a SB 6000. The blades are T6300 T6320 and T6340.
  • 3. Re: Is possible to set you MAC address on a zone?
    mgerdts - oracle Explorer
    Shared stack does not allow the MAC address to be changed per zone. As someone else suggested, Solaris 11 greatly improves things because a single physical NIC can be used for multiple exclusive stack zones.

You may want to consider running Solaris 11 on these servers. If some or all of your zones need to continue to be on Solaris 10, you could then use Oracle Solaris 10 Zones (i.e. solaris10 branded zones) on Solaris 11. If you have a box running Solaris 11, you can try out Solaris 10 Zones with:

pkg install brand-solaris10
    zonecfg -z s10zone 'create; set zonepath=/zones/s10zone'
    zoneadm -z s10zone install -p -a /path/to/archive

Instructions for creating the archive can be found at:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E29024/gjroc.html#scrolltoc

The configuration that results from the zonecfg command above uses exclusive stack with one anet resource. The anet resource allows you to change the MAC address, limit which IP address(es) are used by the dedicated stack, automatically configure the IP address, etc.

Note that Solaris 11.1 just came out. If you are installing Solaris 11 for the first time, best to start with Solaris 11.1. If you have Solaris 11.0 (aka Solaris 11 11/11) I'd suggest updating to at least 11.0 SRU2 before doing a lot with zones.
  • 4. Re: Is possible to set you MAC address on a zone?
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Cross-posted to at least one other other forum web site:
    http://www.unix.com/solaris/207643-can-you-set-mac-address-zone.html

It would have been polite to have mentioned that fact, so that people don't duplicate the efforts you've received from others.
  • 5. Re: Is possible to set you MAC address on a zone?
    CyberNinja Newbie
    Sorry about that.
    I post questions on many forums to get the answer to my question. Some of the forums I post to can't be accesses by everyone. If one site gives me an answer I will then post the answer with a link to all the forums I posted the question to. If you look at my past posts you will see that do that.

I'm not expecting people to use google to find the answer for me. I can do that, I'm just asking if you know the answer. Or if you can point me in the right direction.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points