7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 2:32 PM by 975568 RSS

What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?

On windows server 2008 R2 Sp1, I set the timezone in windows to be simply "UTC".

Later I installed oracle without errors, but the console would not start, nor would the listener. The log failes basically said:

"The agentTZRegion value in C:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\wario_orcl/sysman/config/emd.properties is not in agreement with what agent thinks it should be.Please verify your environment to make sure that TZ setting has not changed since the last start of the agent."

Looking in "supportedtzs.list" - UTC is commended out with the commend "Depricated".

So Oracle installation does not support severs using UTC. Thats aproblem because we have hundreds of servers all set to UTC.

The question is then, what windows Timezone is actually supported by Oracle? This is totally undocumented.

E.g. will: "(UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" work, and how do we avoid dailight savings which woudl cause havcock as all our other DBs are set to UTC (Which doesnt have daylight savings).

Interestingly, doing this:
      C:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN>emctl config agent getTZ
      With the timezone in windows set to UTC gives this:
      America/Rio_Branco

This has to be a bug!
        • 1. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
          clcarter
          Try looking in the timezone values table for valid locations in GMT ...
          select * from v$timezone_names where tzabbrev = 'GMT';
          A location reveals much better information about a local time zone, i.e. could be northern or southern hemisphere, also affecting the daylight savings window. For now, looks like Iceland is one place that doesn't use DST, and they are in timezone UTC+0 so maybe that could work. Or locations close to the equator tend to not utilize DST, quite a few locations on the west coast of Africa might do as well.
          emctl config agent getTZ ... America/Rio_Branco
          Hmmm interesting. What is the locale setup on the host? Windows slams the system clock at DST change, there are better ways to handle timezone "issues".
          • 2. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
            The way to handle all timezone issues is to set the server OS timezone to "UTC", as I did on the Windows box.

UTC is the single universal time which never chagnes, and just work sin all situations on all servers. All our servers have been set to UTC for the last 15 years running any number of databases including oracle with no DST issues, and perfect syncronization.

This has all been blown away with oracle depricating the world server standard, and replacing it with the horrible old local timezone, which we dont one running on the server host. The clients have the the local timezones, and oracle correctly converst between UTC to the local timezone.

For oracle to depricate the working world standard for servers (i.e. UTC), with no replacement, is absolute madness. If it was April already, I would say it was an April fools prank.

The really mad thing is that Oracle SW is largely Java, and Java is built around UTC.

Its the same as oracle saying they no longer support UTF8, and you have to go back to using ASCII.

The key is that UTC never chagnes. If you use a local timezone, the definition changes from time to time. When the timezone rules chagne, oracle has to update EVERY ROW with that timezone. If you have 100 million rows, this update can kill your DB. Thats why you should use UTC. Depricated? are they mad?

Edited by: user555967 on 26-Mar-2012 15:05
            • 3. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
              orafad
              user555967 wrote:
              Later I installed oracle without errors, but the console would not start, nor would the listener. The log failes basically said:
              I don't believe listener failing to start has anything to do with em console error. EM dc/gc has always been picky about timezones, something like os - java - oracle views of timezone needs to match.

>
              "The agentTZRegion value in C:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\wario_orcl/sysman/config/emd.properties is not in agreement with what agent thinks it should be.Please verify your environment to make sure that TZ setting has not changed since the last start of the agent."
              So what is that line from emd.properties?

Does TZ work on Windows platform? Try e.g.

set TZ=GMT
              emctl start dbconsole

So Oracle installation does not support severs using UTC. Thats aproblem because we have hundreds of servers all set to UTC.
              Just fix the separate app (e.g. Em db control). No need to change the host itself.
              • 4. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                Is there a reason you are posting the same issues over and over again ? 11g R2 wont work under windows 2008 R2 doesnt support UTC, and cant change.

Srini
                • 5. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
                  Yes, deep desperation, and 3 nights up till 4am trying to get a working installation of oracle on windows. No luck so far :(

For my next installation attempt, i have imaged the clean re-installation of windows, so going back and trying again will take perhaps half a day instead of one day.
                  • 6. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    I do not believe spamming the forums in frustration will endear you to the community. See your other related posts (in addition to the one above)

"Connection Refused: connect" 11g r2 x64 on windows 2008 SP2 x64
                    What user should oracle be installed with in windows 2008?
                    oracle deinstall doesnt work.  I guess you have to reinstall windows?

Posting as many objective details as possible (and refraining from cursing) along with the contents of installation log files will go a long way in eliciting responses.

HTH
                    Srini
                    • 7. Re: What 0 offset windows timzone works with Oracle 11g R2?
                      Hello,

I am in the exact same situation and it looks like I might have to use a local timezone such as GMT (Monrovia, Reykjavik). Which doesn't use DST.

I have tried changing the timezone to GMT (Universal Coordinated Time) both before and after an install. When issue a "emctl config agent getTZ", I get America/Rio_Branca (-04:00) with Oracle 11.2.0.1. Due to other reasons, I also tried upgrading to 11.2.0.3 and now recieve Asia/Karachi when I try to change the timezone.

Windows 2008 R2 64bit

I am curious about what you ended up doing?

Thanks,

Lloyd