This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 12:09 PM by ccortez RSS

How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?

rgvg Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Pardon me for the newbie question, but I haven't got any clues on how to run forms builder and reports builder 11gr2 on linux (centos 5.8).
installed it fine, but then now I can't start the damned thing.
Tried looking through the install guide and it doesn't seem to have a section on "how to use forms builder". Don't see a user's guide either.
it's driving me crazy. i would have thought it would be easier to find simple information like this but clearly it eludes me.

which manual should I be looking at, if there's any?

thanks
  • 1. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    ccortez Journeyer
    Hi,

First run this command in a terminal to start Weblogic Server:
    MW_HOME/user_projects/domains/<domain-name>/bin/startWebLogic.sh
    Then run this command in a second terminal to set environment variables to use the nodemanager:
    WL_HOME/server/bin/setWLSENv.sh
    In the same second terminal Start nodemanager with this:
    WL_HOME/server/bin/startNodeManager.sh
    Now open the Administration Console in a navigator and get login, point your url to:
    http://localhost:7001/console
    Now start WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS managed servers from the Administration Console, it's very important that you have started nodemanager, otherwise you will not be able to start both services.

Regards :)
    Carlos
  • 2. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    rgvg Explorer
    thanks.
    what if I wanted to start the form builder so I can create or edit forms?
  • 3. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    ccortez Journeyer
    what if I wanted to start the form builder so I can create or edit forms?
    You will be able to create forms only if you have marked it to install in the Forms's installation wizard, the same for Reports.

Regards
    Carlos
  • 4. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    rgvg Explorer
    okay, if i selected installation of forms and reports builder, then how do I start forms builder and/or report builder?

sorry if this is such a dumb question but i can't seem to find this information.

thanks
  • 5. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    ccortez Journeyer
    Hi,

You may find the frmbuilder and also reports at ORACLE_HOME/bin folder

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly

Regards
    Carlos
  • 6. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    rgvg Explorer
    turns out that for forms, on linux, your run frmbld.sh which is in the bin directory of the instance home (in my case ~/Oracle/Middleware/asinst_1/bin).
    For reports, there is shell script (reports.sh) that has to be sourced first in the bin directory of the oracle home (~/Oracle/Middleware/Oracle_FRHome1/bin) and then you can run rwbuilder

for whatever reason, the reports.sh script on my system has the oracle home referenced as $$Instance.oracle_home$$ and the instance directory as $$Instance.directory$$

$$ turns out to expand as the process id, so if your process id is 1234, it thinks your oracle home is 1234Instance.oracle_home1234 which is completely brain dead. why on earth a directory would be dependent on the process id just eludes me.

now that i've run forms and reports builder on linux, i can say it looks ugly and I will just forget it and run it on windows instead.

weird because jdeveloper looks great on ubuntu.
  • 7. Re: How to start Forms or Reports 11gR2?
    ccortez Journeyer
    now that i've run forms and reports builder on linux, i can say it looks ugly and I will just forget it and run it on windows instead
    In some way i may say that developing with Forms should be done using Windows since Oracle do not certificates Linux to develop, thats why i think the IDE looks ugly.

Regards
    Carlos

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points