This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 11:04 AM by ChrisJenkins RSS

How many approachs for my application to interact with Timesten database?

914264 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all, how many approachs for my application to interact with Timesten database?
As far as I know, we can directly connect to the database without network overhead that improves performance, does my application only need specify the DSN name as the name of the data manager's DSN ?There's no document to clarify this clearly.
The other approach is c/s connection and there are 3 commucation protocols, such as plain tcp/ip, IPC and UNIX domain sockets, right?
  • 1. Re: How many approachs for my application to interact with Timesten database?
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Yes, that's correct. Direct mode (preferred) when application and TimesTen are on same machine. Unix domain socket and shared memory IPC for local client/server (only for special use cases since direct mode is faster and preferred) and normal TCP/IP client/server (local or remote).

The exact detail on how the application connects depends on which API it is using (ODBC, OCI, Pro*C, JDBC, ODP .NET). For ODBC and JDBC you need to specify a datasource name and use the corresponding driver (direct mode driver or client driver). For OCI this is all configured through SQL*Net and TNSNAMES.ORA and for ODP .NET I can't recall without looking it up. Please consult the TimesTen documentation for the relevant API to get full details.

Chris

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points