4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 6:21 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Setting up an environment for a java web application.

Hello.
      For a personal project I decided to create a web application using java tecnologies. I've started creating web applications using .NET and I wanted to start learning how to build them in Java to further extend my knowledge and to start a project I need to develop. The thing is, I need some advice on the tecnologies to use (application server, database server and other tecnologies for web development) and some guidance on their configuration. I've done some research online and until now the decision is to use:
      - Glassfish
      - MySql (or Oracle Express Ed.)
      Do you have any suggestions on what to use and how to configure them or any material to read?

Regards.
      G.K
        • 1. Re: Setting up an environment for a java web application.
          Kayaman
          972769 wrote:
          Do you have any suggestions on what to use
          Plenty. The good thing about .NET is that you don't need to make choices, you'll just use IIS, maybe MSSQL, using Visual Studio.
          With Java you have a lot of choice and it can be difficult to make a choice.
          Glassfish and MySQL is not a bad choice at all.
          and how to configure them or any material to read?
          Manuals. And you'll be doing a lot of reading.
          • 2. Re: Setting up an environment for a java web application.
            gimbal2
            Being a JBoss geek I cannot let it pass to recommend to at least investigate JBoss 7.1 as a possible alternative to Glassfish :)

Also MySQL works fine and is very common and thus very much documented, which is a big plus. But I would not pass up the chance to look into PostgreSQL as well. To me that is basically the perfect balance between the simplicity of MySQL and the power of an Oracle DBMS.

It depends on what you want to do with it of course, a simple web application works perfectly fine on MySQL, but then you probably also don't need the horsepower of a full enterprise container. You can also just use Tomcat 7 which is fast, easy to setup, well documented and doesn't use up so many resources either.
            • 3. Re: Setting up an environment for a java web application.
              Kayaman
              I almost recommended Postgres and JBoss myself, but decided that if he ain't broke, don't fix him.
              • 4. Re: Setting up an environment for a java web application.
                gimbal2
                Kayaman wrote:
                I almost recommended Postgres and JBoss myself, but decided that if he ain't broke, don't fix him.
                He's not even ready yet and can still be properly glued together!