5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 10:40 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Changing user name (EBS R12.1.3)

Dear All,

Currently my office use their initial name of employe name as their login name to our EBS.
      as this practice is no more feel suitable, since different names can have same initial letter, for example :
      AB - Adam Brown
      AB - Andreas Brocelly , etc

1. can someone advise what is the oracle standard for user naming convention (with doc ID reference if possible) ?
      2. how many char will be the maximum for user name ?
      3. what is the impact if we change all existing user name now that we need to look at/testing ?

Thanks for any help..

Regards,
      Robert
        • 1. Re: Changing user name (EBS R12.1.3)
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          884779 wrote:
          Dear All,

Currently my office use their initial name of employe name as their login name to our EBS.
          as this practice is no more feel suitable, since different names can have same initial letter, for example :
          AB - Adam Brown
          Pl also post OS and database versions
          1. can someone advise what is the oracle standard for user naming convention (with doc ID reference if possible) ?
          There is no common standard for this - it depends on what you want to use. We use a 5 character alphanumeric identifier which corresponds to an internal employee id string.
          Check the length of the column in FND_USERS table.
          3. what is the impact if we change all existing user name now that we need to look at/testing ?
          There should be no impact if you change the name for your users - the name is associated with an internal number ( a sequence used by FND_USER ) and this number is what is important, not the name.

>
          Thanks for any help..

Regards,
          Robert
          HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Changing user name (EBS R12.1.3)
            Johan Louwers
            Hi,
            if you are starting to change usernames in Oracle eBS the best way to go is to use the standard API's for this. This will help you a lot and will take a lot of renaming and changing stuff away from you. For more information do check the blogpost I wrote on this subject some time ago: http://johanlouwers.blogspot.nl/2011/12/oracle-ebs-change-username.html

Regards,
            Johan Louwers.
            • 3. Re: Changing user name (EBS R12.1.3)
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Hi Robert,
              AB - Adam Brown

There is no Oracle standard and it is up to you to choose the format you prefer. If you use a standard format for email address and active directory, then it is easier for Oracle EBS end users to have the same format.
              Varchar2(100) -- http://etrm.oracle.com/pls/et1211d9/etrm_pnav.show_object?c_name=FND_USER&c_owner=APPLSYS&c_type=TABLE
              No impact if you are on R12. In 11i, you might hit the issue in (Changing Usernames Causes The User To Have No Responsibilities In Oracle Applications 11i [ID 311133.1]).

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Changing user name (EBS R12.1.3)
                All,

Thank you for your reply. it's very helpful.

Sorry for not mention the version at the beginning.
                we are using EBS R.12.1.3 / DB 11g, Redhat 5.8

Hi Hussein,

so i guess, our existing workflow engine (for PR/PO approval) also will be working fine, even for existing running PR/PO ?

Thanks again.

Regards,
                Robert
                • 5. Re: Changing user name (EBS R12.1.3)
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Hi Hussein,

so i guess, our existing workflow engine (for PR/PO approval) also will be working fine, even for existing running PR/PO ?
                  Yes.

Thanks,
                  Hussein