This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 10:14 AM by 975843 RSS

Use alternate "oracle" ID and "dba" group

975843 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've taken the linux rpm, and run it with the "--noscripts" to install the package without running the .spec.
I then took a copy of the oracle-xe<version>.spec, and converted it to a shell script, and replaced all the hardcoded paths with parameters, and username/group (oracle:dba) with the username and group I wish to use.

Then I had to similarly edit the /etc/init.d/oracle-xe file to remove all of the hard-coded oracle:dba.

Now the database is configured, but will not start, TNS detaches, and we cannot connect to the database with sqlplus.

In the real/proper oracle, we have to edit one of the config files to change the group from "dba" to "whatever" and then relink. I'm curious to know if this is possible or not with XE, I've googled my heart out, and just can't seem to find any information.

http://oracle.erkansaka.org/2008/04/how-to-change-oracle-dba-group-in-unix.html
  • 1. Re: Use alternate "oracle" ID and "dba" group
    orafad Oracle ACE
    972840 wrote:
    I've taken the linux rpm, and run it with the "--noscripts" to install the package without running the .spec.
    If you install in the same manner but don't change any user/group references, does XE instance start then?

Now the database is configured, but will not start, TNS detaches, and we cannot connect to the database with sqlplus.
    What does not start and tns detaches mean? Show actual command responses/output/errors.

I'm curious to know if this is possible or not with XE,
    It might be possible, don't see why not right away, it might also break the license to use XE.
  • 2. Re: Use alternate "oracle" ID and "dba" group
    975843 Newbie
    In config.c there is an entry labeled SS_DBA_GRP for "regular" oracle, you can define the group as whatever you like, and re-link oracle. I am not sure how to manage this with the "express" version of oracle since everything is pre-compiled...

Is there a way (once the database is up and running) to do an sql alter command that will change the default security group from "dba" to "notdba"?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points