8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 12:52 AM by mBk77 RSS

How to work on a fresh database

Hi,

i am a plsql developer, i have been given to work on a new/fresh database, they given me(in technical document) 4 tables to create and write some stored procedures.

i am not a dba and i am not aware of creating table spaces.

my question is do i need to really create any table spaces, or can i go with the defaul one?

Please suggest what precautions i can take before createing tables writing procedures.

and also how i can give database connection to the front end application to call the stored procedures.

Thanks,
      Vinod
        • 1. Re: How to work on a fresh database
          Aman....
          910575 wrote:
          Hi,

i am a plsql developer, i have been given to work on a new/fresh database, they given me(in technical document) 4 tables to create and write some stored procedures.

my question is do i need to really create any table spaces, or can i go with the defaul one?

Please suggest what precautions i can take before createing tables writing procedures.

and also how i can give database connection to the front end application to call the stored procedures.
          You said you are asked to create tables not tablespaces . Let's talk about one thing at one time. So first thing is, what you are supposed to do, create tables or tablespaces? What's the database version of yours?

Aman....
          • 2. Re: How to work on a fresh database
            Hi Aman,

Thanks for your quick response.

I am the whole and sole for the database development. I have never worked on a fresh database, and i dont have dba knowledge. i have worked on plsql coding and support kind of activities.

my question is do i need to create tables space or not before going to create tables and writing stored procedures? and are there any other dba activities that i should do?

Thanks,
            Vinod
            • 3. Re: How to work on a fresh database
              Fran
              my question is do i need to create tables space or not before going to create tables and writing stored procedures? and are there any other dba activities that i should do?
              USERS tablespace is the tablespace by default where your new users can create objects. No need another tablespace a priori, in the future you must add datafiles or resize to get more space on it when it will be full or almost full. Also you can create a new tablespace if you want (i will recommend one tablespace for data and one for index for each schema)
              If you want to create a new tablespace:
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_7003.htm

If you want that your user use a specific tablespace by default instead of USERS, you must associated the user to the tablespace and give quota on that tablespace:
              ALTER USER <username> default tablespace <tablespace_name> quota unlimited on <tablespace_name>;
              or when you create the user:
              CREATE USER <username> IDENTIFIED BY <password> DEFAULT TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> QUOTA unlimited ON <tablespace>;
              • 4. Re: How to work on a fresh database
                $Amogh K
                Hi Vinod,

If Your DBA has created database with all default tablespaces then there is no need to create any tablespace. As USERS tablespace will be there by default. You have to consult your DBA for same.
                Also you will require neccessary priviledges to database users that you are using for creating tables and stored procedures.
                Granting privedges and creating user is another DBA activity.

Thanks,
                Amogh
                • 5. Re: How to work on a fresh database
                  Marcus Rangel
                  Who created this fresh database ? It he/she the DBA ? Maybe you should talk to him/her and get to know what is expected.
                  • 6. Re: How to work on a fresh database
                    Pavan Kumar
                    Hi,
                    i am a plsql developer, i have been given to work on a new/fresh database, they given me(in technical document) 4 tables to create and write some stored procedures
                    When you are saying you are plsql developer then, I must say you would have completed SQL and PLSQL things.
                    Having said that your line of statement and task does not dealt with any part of DBA stuff only developer. Have you gone the technical document ? what does it have. ?
                    What type of store procedure have they asked ? If not documented in that doc, go and ask them what is the requirement, so that you can develop/code procedures --that makes more specific to your work/task.
                    As begin an developer you would have came across this stuff/point/step. Who performed at that time ?
                    Please suggest what precautions i can take before createing tables writing procedures. and also how i can give database connection to the front end application to call the stored procedures.
                    Now, this question, conflicts with your above statement, that either you are purely new to work wiht out knowing anything on this area. If that is the case, you must first take proper traning then can continue with work else your work/application goes to toss.

- Pavan Kumar N
                    • 7. Re: How to work on a fresh database
                      Aman....
                      When you were given this fresh database, were you asked to do any of the things that you are saying i.e. creating tablespaces etc? If not, just create your required objects and you should be fine.

Aman....
                      • 8. Re: How to work on a fresh database
                        mBk77
                        910575 wrote:
                        Hi,

Depends on the requirement, but the best thing is to create a new table space for a new application..

>
                        read the oracle documentation

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10897/toc.htm

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/toc.htm
                        http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10897/network.htm#CHDFHIFE
                        >
                        Thanks,
                        Vinod