8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 11:47 PM by 960341 RSS

Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions

Hi,

I want to upgrade my EBS from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3 (keeping DB same , i.e., 11.1.0.7). I have MT services running on 5 nodes. All 5 nodes have all the services enabled.
      My doubt is :

While applying the upgrade patches, Do I have to execute the patches on all the nodes ?
      If yes, Do I have to run them sequentially (one node after another) OR can I run them parallely (simulteneously on all nodes )?
      Do I have to use any special options like 'nodatabaseportion' etc ?

regards,
        • 1. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          I want to upgrade my EBS from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3 (keeping DB same , i.e., 11.1.0.7). I have MT services running on 5 nodes. All 5 nodes have all the services enabled.
          My doubt is :

While applying the upgrade patches, Do I have to execute the patches on all the nodes ?
          If yes, Do I have to run them sequentially (one node after another) OR can I run them parallely (simulteneously on all nodes )?
          Do I have to use any special options like 'nodatabaseportion' etc ?
          No, you need to run it on one node after laying down the software and apply the patch using (options=nocopyportion,nogenerateportion) -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e16342/T527285T527419.htm#upgd_perform_upgrade

Once you upgrade on this node, you can clone the other 3 nodes.

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
            Hi Hussein,

Thnx for your reply.
            The given link doesn't give details about cloning the rest of the nodes.
            For clarity, Lets assume I have 4 MT's (a,b,c,d).
            1. I laydown the file-system on node a, apply the upgrade patch on node a. (is there no need to lay the file-system on the remaining nodes ?)

2. I then have to clone the rest of the nodes (b,c,d) using 'node a' as source ?
            • 3. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              1. I laydown the file-system on node a, apply the upgrade patch on node a. (is there no need to lay the file-system on the remaining nodes ?)
              No, just lay down the software on one node.
              2. I then have to clone the rest of the nodes (b,c,d) using 'node a' as source ?
              Correct -- Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 [ID 799735.1]

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
                Hi Hussein,

I shall review the note 799735.1 & try to apply it.

I have another doubt : My DB is RAC enabled (say node1,2,3). I don't want to lay new filesystem for my DB as I have the desired version of it. While laying the filesystem of MT (node a), I can define only one DB node (node1), how/where shall I define the other 2 RAC nodes (node 2, 3) ?

Please advise ..

regards,
                • 5. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  I have another doubt : My DB is RAC enabled (say node1,2,3). I don't want to lay new filesystem for my DB as I have the desired version of it. While laying the filesystem of MT (node a), I can define only one DB node (node1),
                  Correct.
                  how/where shall I define the other 2 RAC nodes (node 2, 3) ?
                  You do not have to define them, just bring the other two nodes up (in case you shut them down before the upgrade) -- Using Oracle 11g Release 2 Real Application Clusters with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 823587.1]

Thanks,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
                    I have the following setup.

Database (11.1.0.7)
                    ------------------
                    Rac enabled = yes.
                    node 1 - Instance1
                    node 2 - Instance2
                    node 3 - Instance3

Middle-tier (11.5.10.2)
                    ----------
                    mtnode 1 to mtnode 5 ( all services such as admin/cm/forms/httpd are running on all mt nodes ).

Goal :
                    ----
                    Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3

Note : I don't want to lay the file-system on DB. I just want to lay the file-system on MT & apply the upgrade patch.

My approach:
                    ---------
                    -> lay the file system on "mtnode 1". On database details screen, Provide the details of "Instance1" details.
                    -> After the filesystem is laid, check for the database connectivity through MT node. ( do the same for all other MT nodes)
                    -> Apply patches 7461070, 9179588, 9477107 on all the MT nodes.
                    -> Apply 6678700 on only 1 node.
                    -> After successful patch application, configure & start the services. (autoconfig would be run during this step).

Here, according to note.823587.1, step 3.8.1, the details of all RAC-nodes should be available in tnsnames.ora , listener.ora & DBC file
                    (correct me if i'm wrong in my assumption. I'm not sure how auto-config will fetch the other rac node details)

-> do the same on all other MT nodes.
                    -> Continue with R12.1.3 patches.

PS: I'm not comfortable in upgrading one node & doing cloning of the other nodes.

Kindly advise if my above approach would work.
                    • 7. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      I am follwoing the note : Interoperability Notes EBS R12 with Database 11gR2[ 1058763.1].

1- Step 2: Apply patch 6400501 to the IAS 10.1.2. Do I really need to apply this patch ?( I am not sure how I can check whether this has already applied or not)
                      As mentioned in the doc, if you are on Linux/Unix then you need to apply this patch.

To verify if the patch is applied or not, it depends on what ORACLE_HOME you are referring to. Please see (How to apply Patch 6400501 to a Release 12 APPS-Tier ORACLE_HOME ? [ID 799907.1]). Since this patch can be applied on the database tier node or on the application tier node, you need to source the correct env file and issue "opatch lsinventory" command.
                      2- Step 6: Install Oracle database 11g Products from the 11g Example CDs. Do I need to do this step and please ket me know whre I can get this CD ( I have 2 files : p10404530_112030_LINUX_1of7.zip and p10404530_112030_LINUX_2of7.zip)
                      Do I need to download anything extra here to fullfil the step.
                      Yes, it is mandatory and you need to download all files.
                      3- Step 8: Apply additional 11.2.0.3 RDBMS pathes :

Before applying this additional patches, I hv to upgrade the database to 11.2.0.3. Please correct me if I am wrong.
                      As per the note, step 13 is to upgrade database to 11.2.0.3. I got confused here, It means, Do I need to apply additional patches on 10.2.0.5 database then upgrade to 11.2.0.3
                      Before the upgrade. As mentioned under the same step "Do not run any of the post install instructions as those will be done after the upgrade.".

Thanks,
                      Hussein
                      • 8. Re: Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.3 questions
                        Hi Hussein/Other experts,

I need advise on the following approach:

I have the following setup.

Database (11.1.0.7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Rac enabled = yes.
                        node 1 - Instance1
                        node 2 - Instance2
                        node 3 - Instance3

Middle-tier (11.5.10.2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        mtnode 1 to mtnode 5 ( all services such as admin/cm/forms/httpd are running on all mt nodes ).

Goal :
                        ----
                        Upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3

Note : I don't want to lay the file-system on DB. I just want to lay the file-system on MT & apply the upgrade patch.

My approach:

-> lay the file system on "mtnode 1". On database details screen, Provide the details of "Instance1" details.
                        -> After the filesystem is laid, check for the database connectivity through MT node. ( do the same for all other MT nodes)
                        -> Apply patches 7461070, 9179588, 9477107 on all the MT nodes.
                        -> Apply 6678700 on only 1 node.
                        -> After successful patch application, configure & start the services. (autoconfig would be run during this step).

Here, according to note.823587.1, step 3.8.1, the details of all RAC-nodes should be available in tnsnames.ora , listener.ora & DBC file
                        (correct me if i'm wrong in my assumption. I'm not sure how auto-config will fetch the other rac node details)

-> do the same on all other MT nodes.
                        -> Continue with R12.1.3 patches.

PS: I'm not comfortable in upgrading one node & doing cloning of the other nodes.

Kindly advise if my above approach would work.