This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 2:31 AM by 976188 RSS

Oracle Streams for 10 databases

976188 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all!

I'd like to use Streams to establish replication among 10 databases. Is this possible?

Also OEM's giving me a problem in configuring Oracle Streams. I'm new to Oracle and I'd appreciate it if someone can guide me in this matter. The versionIi'm using right now is Oracle 11g r2.

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    Fran Guru
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28324/tdpii_repcont.htm
  • 2. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Yes it will work , Oracle Stream need lot of configuration ,since you have user, jobs ,Capture and apply process on each site, enable some package on database , include to all this you must have check your network before going with replication solution .
    if you are going for replication solution go With Golden Gate .

How to Setup Oracle Stream :
    http://apunhiran.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-setup-up-of-oracle-streams.html

Golden Gate
    http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/acquisitions/goldengate/index.html
  • 3. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    JohnWatson Guru
    Replication between 10 databases is possible but extremely awkward. If it is uni-directional, with DML occuring at only site, it is feasible. But if DML can occur anywhere, it will be almost impossible to keep it working reliably unless the volume of changes is very low. You will need to consider conflict resolution rules very carefully. In some circumstances, you may find that Advanced Replication is actually better than Streams: the underlying technology may be slower, but conflict resoluition can sometimes be better.
    Generally speaking, if you need to replicate between that many databases, there is probably something wrong with your topology. I have often seen this sort of thing when SQL Server people try to work with Oracle. One Oracle server can do the work of many SQL Servers. I would suggest asking why you need so many databases with the same data, and that you look at consolidating the 10 databases into one or two. If you really need separate databases (why?) then look at using distributed queries and transaction rather than replication.
  • 4. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    976188 Newbie
    Thank you both for your replies.

I have considered using Goldengate before I settling with Streams because it wasn't worth the price considering that I'd only be using the system for 4 months only. But if Streams won't be enough then I have no choice but to use Goldengate.
  • 5. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    976188 Newbie
    Here's what i intend to do:

Among the 10 databases, 1 would serve as the master while the remaining 9 becomes slaves. I don't know if it's clear enough or if it's the right topology. Any inputs would really be appreciated.
  • 6. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    you have to decide what you want , Do you want to enable fail over on sites , which if one these sites stop capture from the other one all the user and direction will be redirect on other site which mean you must have good server to handle these transaction .
  • 7. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    JohnWatson Guru
    973185 wrote:
    Here's what i intend to do:

Among the 10 databases, 1 would serve as the master while the remaining 9 becomes slaves. I don't know if it's clear enough or if it's the right topology. Any inputs would really be appreciated.
    Would this be a hub-and-spoke topology, with all DML occuring at the hub? If so, replication is uni-directional and Streams will work no problem. An alternative you might want to look at is materialized view replication, which is much simpler.
  • 8. Re: Oracle Streams for 10 databases
    976188 Newbie
    Did some research based on your inputs. Thanks a lot!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points