6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 6:43 AM by tyroneward RSS

3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?

tyroneward
      Hi,
      Just downloaded and installed V3.3, build 734. I am trying to reverse engineer a DB2 database IBM DB2/LUW 9.7.2 using the Data Dictionary Import Wizard but without success. I can connect to it and verify the connection. The wizard returns the tables, views and other objects. If I select a few sample tables it returns with a success but they do not appear. I presume this is because the DB2 data dictionary is not currently supported.

I also tried this using Data Modeler->Import->Data Dictionary within SQL Developer but this just responds with Error CONNECTION_TYPE.

I was hoping because IBM DB2/LUW V7 or V8 is supported I might be in luck. Are there any plans to support an IBM DB2/LUW version 9 database in the near future or is there another way I can do this? My only other option is to use Erwin but I’d rather use Data Modeler.

Regards,
      Tyrone
        • 1. Re: 3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
          Hi Tyrone,

it's possible to import from IBM DB2/LUW version 9 database even with DM 3.1 - you need to add proper JDBC driver, and UDB tab will appear in connection dialog.
          There is more support for DB2/LUW 9 in DM 3.3 - new data types are supported and you can create UDB 9 physical model. Please pay attention to following 3.3 release notes:
          You need to copy types.xml and defaultRDBMSSites.xml files from datamodeler\datamodeler\types directory to directory set as default system types directory in preferences when preferences are migrated from earlier version.
          Philip
          • 2. Re: 3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?
            tyroneward
            Hello Philip,
                 I had set up the JDBC driver and licence which is how I was able to connect to the box in the first place and view the objects in the wizard. The point you said I needed to ‘pay attention to’ regarding the types was irrelevant to me since I was previously using a 3.1.4 and the files in 3.3 are more up-to-date.

The one thing you mentioned in your reply that made me look at this differently was using the UDB tab and not the DB2 tab. It did not occur to me that this was a connection option since as far as I was concerned I was connecting to a DB2 database (what the heck is UDB anyway? - answer not expected). This is important for anyone else who wants to do this. After I had loaded the JDBC driver and licence both a DB2 AND a UDB tab appear in the connection list. I now understand there is a difference between actual IBM mainframe data dictionaries and mid-range UNIX based DB2 systems. Whichever you have depends on which of these connectors you use. When I connected using the DB2 tab (the database I was told we have) it did show me all of the objects but would not reverse engineer anything. However, if I now use the UDB tab instead it also sees the objects and more importantly solves the problem and successfully reverse engineers objects.

So, thanks for mentioning the UDB tab.

Regards,
            Tyrone

Edited by: tyroneward on Nov 23, 2012 1:15 PM
            • 3. Re: 3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?
              Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
              I now understand there is a difference between actual IBM mainframe data dictionaries and mid-range UNIX based DB2 systems
              It's not only in data dictionary.
              what the heck is UDB anyway? - answer not expected
              It's interesting how things evolve - at version 7 there were:
              - IBM DB2 Universal Database
              - DB2 Universal Database for OS/390 and z/OS
              now they are (at version 9/10):
              - DB2 Version 9 for Linux, Unix ans Windows
              - DB2 10 for z/OS

They are not any more Universal - we should change something.

Philip
              • 4. Re: 3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?
                tyroneward
                Hi Philip,
                Having run the reverse engineer wizard, would you expect the table foreign keys in DB2 to be be reflected in the data model? All I appear to be getting back are the tables without the joins. I do get the attributes and the primary keys.

Tyrone
                • 5. Re: 3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?
                  Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
                  Hi Tyrone,

foreign keys should be imported if there are foreign keys created in database and both table involved are imported.
                  Do you have problems logged in log file - it's in datamodeler\datamodeler\log directory.

Philip
                  • 6. Re: 3.3EA1 Any timescale to include IBM DB2/LUW 9.X.X as a supported database?
                    tyroneward
                    Hi Philip,
                    The log is clear. I've had a chat with someone who has tried something similar with a different tool previously and eventually had to hand join the relationships in the model. Something to do with the ANSI standards not being used to create the joins in the DB2 database in the first place, apparently. I'll do some more digging.

Tyrone