This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 9:10 AM by clcarter RSS

Oracle 11g xe Ubuntu 12.04 Error 12505

976310 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, i have a problem with the install and configuration of oracle 11g xe no ubuntu 12.04. On my first installation, following the link Oracle 11gR2 Express Edition on Linux Ubuntu 11.10 howto i had a trouble on executing the "/etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure". I fix the trouble using this link Re: ubuntu 11.10 ORA-00845: MEMORY_TARGET not supported on this system But now, I not can connect the database. Always show the error 12505.

Following some link's, i changed some files. but the error persists

# listener.ora Network Configuration File:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
)
)

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File:

XE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = LimaNB)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

#/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1     localhost
127.0.1.1     LimaNB

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11g xe Ubuntu 12.04 Error 12505
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Ubuntu is not a certified distro to install 11g XE - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18802/toc.htm#BABHICJH - so things may or may not work as advertised

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11g xe Ubuntu 12.04 Error 12505
    976310 Newbie
    You have a example for local connection configuration?
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11g xe Ubuntu 12.04 Error 12505
    clcarter Expert
    error 12505
    "listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor".

Or could also be SERVICE_NAME, when the database registers with a listener its service name will show in a `lsnrctl services` output, under the "Services Summary..." section.

That error indicates something incorrect with the client configuration, that is done in the tnsnames.ora file. Or possibly the database has not yet registered with the listener, maybe if the database was started first, but instance registration should eventually happen (perhaps within a minute or two) after the listener is started. Or one may force a listener registration to occur with a system connection and an`alter system register;' command.

If the out-of-the-box parameters that affect service registration and naming have not been changed the posted tnsnames.ora setup should work fine.

However, comma, the listener.ora HOST= address is the loopback IP. You won't be able to connect to the database using that address from anywhere but that host.

There may be another ORACLE_HOME installed and the tnsnames.ora file might not be the actual one in use. A `tnsping xe` will reveal the path to the client sqlnet.ora location in use.

The tnsping will verify if there is an oracle listener on the port at the IP address (or hostname) specified by the tnsalias details, in tnsnames.ora but it will not verify the SERVICE_NAME (or SID) specified. To verify the service name requires using an actual connection, i.e. sqlplus username[passwd]@xe.

Or on the database host, with the correct environment settings for $ORACLE_SID, $ORACLE_HOME, with $ORACLE_HOME/bin added to $PATH the ...@<tnsalias> part is not needed to get a connection.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points