9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 5:08 AM by 967136 RSS

pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet

user8611954
      Hi All,

I have created a webcenter page

I have created a ADF remote portlet

I have regsitered the portlet as producer under webcenter page "Connection"

I dragged the portlet on webcenter (jspx) page.

now, my design requires that, i should be able to pass the paramter called "Country URL" that is available in webcenter page's backing bean TO this dropped portlet's SRC tag of IFRAME.

is it possible to pass paramter FROM webcenter page's backing bean TO SRC of IFRAME inside dropped portlet ?

If yes, the how will src refer to webcenter backing URL parameter ? ( like binding ...............)

yhx
      dd
        • 1. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
          Yannick Ongena
          why do you want to pass it to the src tag of the iframe?
          What if the portal does not render the portlet in an iframe and instead runs it inline... What do you going to do then?

As for the standards.... Portlets do have parameters and in webcenter you can pass parameters to those portlets. The only thing needed is that the portlet has defined such a parameter. This way you can easily pass the parameters. If you drop the portlet at design time then you can bind it to a backing bean.
          • 2. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
            user8611954
            ok.

Lets say I have portlet1 and deployed it to server

Created WebCenter application WCApp1 on this application jspx page dropped the portlet1 FROM portlet producer connection

Now, I want to be able to pass a URL say www.mycompany.com/support.html

Only requirement is this URL should be supplied to the SRC = parameter of the IFRAME that the portlet already has (so that the support.html content will be shown by portlet)

How do I go about achiving above ?

Portlets do have parameters and in webcenter you can pass parameters to those portlets ----------- any example ?
            • 3. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
              Yannick Ongena
              If i should develop something like that i would create a portlet with a parameter.
              In webcenter you can set the value of that parameter at design time or at runtime.

Read following paper i wrote about inter portlet communication:
              http://www.contribute.be/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=436efbdd-1db0-4d44-b679-daf9995edca5&groupId=10234
              It show how to build portlets that accepts parameter. In this paper i show how to let 2 portlets communicate but you can easily change it to sending a parameter from a page to a portlet.
              • 4. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
                user8611954
                ok will give it try. I need to modify it since mine is NOT between 2 portlets ..................... but between webcenter page's backing Bean and portlet

seems what u are saying is --------- It is possible to PASS parameter value (url in my case) FROM WEbCenter's Backing Bean TO Portlet's JSPX page (portlet is dropped on this webcenter jspx page)

pl correct me ......... I will try it now
                • 5. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
                  Yannick, how do you do this if you are NOT using an ADF portlet? I am using GenericPortlet that runs on weblogic.
                  • 6. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
                    Yannick Ongena
                    The idea stays the same in WebCenter. The technique i have described above does not change when you use ADF portlets.

There are only a few steps required:
                    1) Create the parameter in portlet.xml
                    2) assign the parameter to your portlet (also in portlet.xml)
                    3) deploy portlet
                    4) create a page parameter in webcenter on the page you are dropping the portlet on
                    5) assign the page parameter to the value of the portlet parameter

That's it.
                    Notice that the link in the above post of me (from 2010) is about JSR 168 portlets. Since WebCenter PS3, webcenter supports JSR 286 and some things change like you do not need to create the parameter in the oracle-portlet.xml anymore. You can easily do this in the portlet.xml
                    This is a more up to date post: http://yonaweb.be/inter_portlet_communication_jsr_286_and_webcenter_11g_ps3
                    • 7. Re: pass parameter FROM webcenter page TO dropped portlet
                      Thanks Yannick that's a great blog and the sample works great. My portlets are in different pages so I cannot use Public Render Parameters.

I am trying to do this:
                      1) Portlet A sets a Page Parameter value
                      2) Portlet A opens a new portal page containing Portlet B.
                      3) Portlet B gets the page parameter set by Page A.

Using PortletSession, I can successfully pass data across portal pages. I'm looking for an alternative to PortletSession. Is this possible?
                      • 8. build a portlet which accepts parameters from portal runtime
                        How to build portlet which accepts parameters from webcenter portal at runtime.

thanks in advance
                        • 9. Re: build a portlet which accepts parameters from portal runtime
                          Thanks for the steps Yannick.
                          I have a WebCenter Portal Application with a Page (test.jspx) which has a text box and a command button. This Page also has a Portlet (that I have dragged and dropped) that will have to use the value in the Portal Page's textbox and show some results. I am not able to able to pass the value from the Portal Page to the Portlet.
                          I created a parameter on the portlet as "myParam". When I dropped the Portlet into test.jspx, I see the following in the pagedef.xml
                          <parameter name="myParam" pageVariable="ParameterPortlet2_1_myParam"/>

How do I access this and set it through my test.jspx? Kindly help me in this regard