This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 6:57 AM by 976575 RSS

Table sorting

976575 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a problem with table sorting. I use jdk 8 build 63.

Say column contains unsorted data (simple strings for simplicity)
I click once on header and my column is sorted in ascending order with the ascending arrow,
I click again, column is sorted in descending order with the descending arrow,
I click again, arrow disappears but sort order is not restored to the original unsorted order ! Looks like a bug.

I expected either
1.sort would cycle through ascending/descending order never being able to have unsorted state like TableRowSorter in java
or
2 sort would support unsorted state with the third click bringing column back to that state

but what I see is something in between...

Anyone knows how to fix it? Or is it "as designed" ??

Thanks !
  • 1. Re: Table sorting
    ytw Explorer
    I believe the old behavior was #2 (ascend, descend, unsort) with Jdk1.7.0_06 on Mac OS X.

One way to achieve #1 is to monitor the 'Sort Order' list of a TableView (TableView.getSortOrder()).
    Basically, the idea is to save the 'sort column' when one is set and restore it when 'Sort Order' list becomes empty.
    tableView.getSortOrder().addListener(new ListChangeListener<TableColumn<MyObject, ?>>() {
        @Override
        public void onChanged(final javafx.collections.ListChangeListener.Change<? extends TableColumn<MyObject, ?>> arg0) {
                if (tableView.getSortOrder().size() > 0) {
                    // save the current sort column some where so we can't add it back later when tableView.getSortOrder().size() is 0.
                }
                else {
                    // add a sort column back and set its sort type (ascending/descending)
                }
        }
    });
  • 2. Re: Table sorting
    976575 Newbie
    Thanks ytw! It's a workaround for sure. I was hoping that maybe table supports true unsorted state instead !

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points