This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 5:42 PM by onedbguru RSS

is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?

user13535953 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have installed Oracle RAC over Veritas Cluster Server 5.1 in two server with Linux Red Hat Rel 5.5 but we are not sure that this combination of products is certifiied.

anybody could helps us?

We have seen that VCS have expecific plugins fori Oracle Clusterware.
  • 1. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    LANCERIQUE Newbie
    Hi ,

Yes it is certified. You can get the information from MOS certification tab.

CertifiedOracle Real Application Clusters 11.2.0.3.0 is certified with Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 5.1 on Linux x86-64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

Collapse/ExpandNotesNotes
    Oracle Real Application Clusters 11.2.0.3.0 with Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 5.1
    [Certification]

Read Installing Oracle RAC 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2) in Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC environment for instructions on how to configure your RAC interconnect when running Oracle RAC 11.2.0.2

Collapse/ExpandSupport InformationSupport Information

Oracle Real Application Clusters 11.2.0.3.0
    End of Premier Support           Jan 30, 2015
    End of Error Correction           Not Set
    End of Extended Support           Jan 30, 2018
    End of Sustaining Support           Indefinite

Regards,
    Nikhil Mehta.
  • 2. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    onedbguru Pro
    user13535953 wrote:
    We have installed Oracle RAC over Veritas Cluster Server 5.1 in two server with Linux Red Hat Rel 5.5 but we are not sure that this combination of products is certifiied.

anybody could helps us?

We have seen that VCS have expecific plugins fori Oracle Clusterware.
    You should have asked this question BEFORE you bought the superfluous VCS. It may be certified, but (In my professional opinion) it provides ZERO functionality/benefit for a LOT more cost. Let the RAC clusterware and ACFS provide the services of Veritas Cluster. Now you have 2 cluster manager systems trying to keep the cluster running. I was at one shop where this dual-management became so cumbersome, we ripped out VCS and went with RAC-only. And that was RAC version 10g. It is even better now.
  • 3. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    I also suggest using only Oracle Grid Infrastructure. Using 3rd party clusterware does NOT make any sense. It adds more moving parts. This increases complexity. This decreases robustness and stability.

I fail to see how it makes Oracle RAC any better.
  • 4. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    975957 Newbie
    As mentioned before, this configuration is supported. You can also go and check the Symantec website here : https://sort.symantec.com/documents for general documentation including compatibility lists

Having Veritas Cluster Server installed helps in managing other thing as well, like IP addressed that you might need to make highly available or (best part) having a filesystem available so that a System Administrator can do his / her job, and then obviously, applications that are not Oracle Apps, but need thew database, to be highly available.
  • 5. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    GauravAhuja Newbie
    Hi,

I don't think so VCS 5.1 is certified with Oracle clusterware.

Product Certifed is Storage foudnation fo oracle RAC.

Since storage foundation consists of Vertias Cluster + Storge Foundation( Its allmost like a ASM)

and No where its certified that Vertias cluster alone is certified for oracle rac.

Regards
    Gaurav
  • 6. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    972954 wrote:

Having Veritas Cluster Server installed helps in managing other thing as well, like IP addressed that you might need to make highly available
    Done by Oracle Grid.
    or (best part) having a filesystem available so that a System Administrator can do his / her job, and then obviously, applications that are not Oracle Apps, but need thew database, to be highly available.
    Done by Oracle Grid using AVDM (manager) and ACFS (file system).

No need to pay extra. No need for dealing with another vendor (and face the situation of having a critical problem with support from these vendors pointing fingers at one another). No need for additional expertise. No need for increasing the complexity and number of moving parts.

Frankly, I will call any Oracle RAC system build on a 3rd party cluster solution and not Oracle Grid, idiotic... and I think that is a kind remark.

Now if you want some app tier servers highly available and redundant, then that is another issue all together. Nothing to do with Oracle RAC and the question posed by the OP.
  • 7. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    898553 Newbie
    I have a fair amount of experience with VCS, VxVM, etc. and Billy is completely right in saying that there's absolutely no reason to pay Symmantic for something that you're already given with RAC.
  • 8. Re: is Oracle RAC (11.2.0.3) certified to work with Veritas Cluster Server 5.1?
    onedbguru Pro
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    972954 wrote:

Having Veritas Cluster Server installed helps in managing other thing as well, like IP addressed that you might need to make highly available
    Done by Oracle Grid.
    or (best part) having a filesystem available so that a System Administrator can do his / her job, and then obviously, applications that are not Oracle Apps, but need thew database, to be highly available.
    Done by Oracle Grid using AVDM (manager) and ACFS (file system).
    This is a really cool thing about 11gR2 Grid. ACFS is great for writing archivelogs and backups (supported 11.2.0.3) as well as a general purpose cluster-wide file system. And is expandable ONLINE!!! (note: you can expand it 5 times before you must offline fsck it - not sure if this is fixed in later versions but is pretty simple to do - make sure you read the docs on how to do this)

>
    No need to pay extra. No need for dealing with another vendor (and face the situation of having a critical problem with support from these vendors pointing fingers at one another). No need for additional expertise. No need for increasing the complexity and number of moving parts.

Frankly, I will call any Oracle RAC system build on a 3rd party cluster solution and not Oracle Grid, idiotic... and I think that is a kind remark.
    1000% agree about the "kind remark"

>
    Now if you want some app tier servers highly available and redundant, then that is another issue all together. Nothing to do with Oracle RAC and the question posed by the OP.
    Believe it or not, but you can add your own "resource" to Clusterware and have Oracle manage it. Been there, done that successfully.

Edited by: onedbguru on Nov 29, 2012 5:35 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points