This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 1:34 AM by praveenps RSS

RMS

890463 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

When I was going through the "Oracle® Retail Merchandising- Batch Schedule" Document, I read a certain statement which mentions external systems.

Can someone please explain what are the the external systems which is referred to here.

Thanks,
Akshatha
  • 1. Re: RMS
    Preeti (Oracle) Newbie
    Hi Akshatha,

External Systems can be anything. They can be other Oracle Retail applications like REIM, RPM, POS etc. or third part applications like Financials etc. Generally:

REIM : Invoice records created in RMS are sent to REIM so that they can be matched.
    GL/AP/AR and other financial systems : RMS will send accounting data
    RDW/RA : RMS data can be sent to RDW/RA for Reporting purposes.

These are only some of the examples there are many possibilities, please let me know if there is any specific information you are looking at. Thanks.

Regards,
    Preeti.
  • 2. Re: RMS
    890463 Newbie
    Thanks a lot Preeti.

That answered my question.

Akshatha
  • 3. Re: RMS
    praveenps Explorer
    Hi,

I can't agree with suggestion of REIM as an external system.

Every retailer may or may not have systems other that Oracle Retail for their Business operations. According to my understanding from Oracle retail perspective all systems which are not integerated using Oracle Retail Integeration Suite (Out of the Box) are referred as External systems. These systems are sometimes referred as Legacy systems.A common misconception exists that Legacy systems = Old system ,but I beleive they are legendary systems or proven systems.

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

REIM -- Integarted using Data Layer
    Oracle AP/GL - BPEL PIPs provided by Oracle.

Regards,
    PPS
  • 4. Re: RMS
    Preeti (Oracle) Newbie
    Hi PPS,

Yes, but the question raised was specifically for the RMS Batch Schedule. When you talk about the RMS Batch schedule specifically, REIM, POS, RPM are all external systems or rather downstream systems to be more precise. Thanks.

Regards,
    Preeti.
  • 5. Re: RMS
    praveenps Explorer
    Hi Preeti,

Just for my knowledge,can you just quote some batches or instances in og where REIM or RPM are referred as External Systems.
    Because always I have seen "External" means "External to OR".

Regards,
    PPS

Edited by: ppskannan on Nov 29, 2012 2:29 PM

Edited by: ppskannan on Nov 29, 2012 2:30 PM
  • 6. Re: RMS
    Preeti (Oracle) Newbie
    Hi PPS,

For your knowledge, please refer Page 9 of RMS 13.1 Batch Schedule. It says:

"Upload programs bring data from external systems into the Oracle Retail database.For example, the posupld program uploads daily transactions that occur at the point of sale (POS) for processing by the Oracle Retail Management System (RMS)."

"Download programs extract data from RMS and format it so it can be used by external systems. For example, the posdnld program extracts new and changed information about an item/location for downloading to the point of sale."

(Here POS can be Retail Point of Sale as well)

Similarly, I dont see anything wrong in saying that REIM or RPM or RPAS is an external system (external to RMS). Thanks.

Regards,
    Preeti.

Edited by: Preeti (Oracle) on Nov 29, 2012 1:09 AM
  • 7. Re: RMS
    praveenps Explorer
    Hi,

Main point is for MOM(REIM,RPM,ALLOC,RMS etc) which can't see each other as external system since all of them have same DB.

But do Oracle Retail POS (360 commerce) use posupld batch. Any POS guys here??

Because when Oracle is trying to Group OR products as MOM,MPO,Stores etc it's wrong to refer products under the same group as external system.

Regards,
    PPS
  • 8. Re: RMS
    Preeti (Oracle) Newbie
    I am not sure what you mean by "But do Oracle Retail POS (360 commerce) use posupld batch".

RTLOG's generated in POS are consumed by RMS and they are converted into POSU file, and POSUPLD is run to update the TRAN_DATA tables, in short.
  • 9. Re: RMS
    praveenps Explorer
    Hi Preeti,

Thanks for this information.

Regads,
    PPS

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points