13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 9:10 PM by sb92075 RSS

Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS

ripendra
      Hi,

Am trying to install the oracle 11g Release 2 database on my Laptop,

I have downloaded the two zip files from Oracle Site

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

After downloading I have unzipped started process, but after some process, am getting an error mentioning that, am missing a file in the below location

C:\$Oracle_BASE$\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\owb\external\oc4j_applications\applications

but my unzip is successful for both the files, Please let me know why am getting this error when I have downloaded the files from Oracle site, Please let me know if I need to have
      any additional s/w installed on my machine before running the Oracle database installation

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
          sb92075
          which Windows Edition is installed on your system?
          • 2. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Pl post the complete error message. Assuming you are using a certified OS version, did you unzip both files into the same directory ?

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=em.ear&objID=f64&dateRange=thisyear&userID=&numResults=15

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
              Helios-GunesEROL
              Hi;

1. Please mention your win7 version. Home version is not certified.
              2. Please be sure your setup is not corrupted and uninstall both zip to single file.
              3. Please review my blog:
              http://heliosguneserol.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/file-not-found-errors-running-runinstaller-or-setup-exe-on-11grx/

Regard
              Helios
              • 4. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                Hi Ripendra,

Please unzip both the zip files into a single folder.

(Do not unzip the 2 zip files into individual folders.)

Regards,
                BT
                • 5. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                  Hi,

I also have trouble installing the Oracle 11gR2 on my laptop using windows 7 home premium 64bit. I was able to download the "win64_11gR2_database_1of2" and "win64_11gR2_database_1of2" and extracted them to the same directory. However, when it runs at 62% progress it shows the error message that reads "Error in moving file C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oralbac11.dll to C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oralbac11.dll.dbl"

Please help I have spent several days just trying to install the database unsuccessfully.

Thanks a lot
                  Sam
                  • 6. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                    EdStevens
                    973946 wrote:
                    Hi,

I also have trouble installing the Oracle 11gR2 on my laptop using windows 7 home premium 64bit. I was able to download the "win64_11gR2_database_1of2" and "win64_11gR2_database_1of2" and extracted them to the same directory. However, when it runs at 62% progress it shows the error message that reads "Error in moving file C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oralbac11.dll to C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oralbac11.dll.dbl"

Please help I have spent several days just trying to install the database unsuccessfully.

Thanks a lot
                    Sam
                    "home premium"

Oracle does not certify it's products to run on "home" editions of Windows.
                    • 7. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                      Srini Chavali-Oracle
                      Pl check the Install Guide for certified OS versions - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE

HTH
                      Srini
                      • 8. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                        Thanks Srini,

After checking the link, I was able to install it but there were some error messages.
                        I have another problem log in the SQL PLUS. When I open the SQL PLUS window, it asked for Username and after I typed "sys" or "system" and hit Enter; it was prompted for password, however, it did not let me type in any word; and after I hit Enter again, the error message " ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" appeared

Any hints would be apprecieted, thanks.
                        Sam
                        • 9. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                          EdStevens
                          973946 wrote:
                          Thanks Srini,

After checking the link, I was able to install it but there were some error messages.
                          I have another problem log in the SQL PLUS. When I open the SQL PLUS window, it asked for Username and after I typed "sys" or "system" and hit Enter; it was prompted for password, however, it did not let me type in any word; and after I hit Enter again, the error message " ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" appeared

Sam
                          It wasn't preventing you from typing a password, it just wasn't echoing your keystrokes back to the screen. This is a security security feature common to most software, not just oracle. Either when asking for a password, either echo back a 'masking' character like '*' or don't echo anything. It's so common, I'm surprised you seem to have never seen it before.

So after entering your password ... the 12560 probably comes from
                          1- the fact you didn't have the environment variable ORACLE_SID set, so sqlplus didn' know the name of the instance/process you wanted to connect to, or
                          2 - the windows service for the database was not started.

Those two possibilities account for 99.99999 pct of ora-12560 on Windows installations.

Edited by: EdStevens on Nov 29, 2012 6:41 PM
                          • 10. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                            Srini Chavali-Oracle
                            973946 wrote:
                            Thanks Srini,

Pl confirm the OS version you are using. If you are continuing to use Windows Home version, you will have to troubleshoot on your own.

Sam
                            HTH
                            Srini
                            • 11. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                              I used windows 7 home premium 64bit. the name of the database is "projemp.local" , even after I setup the Oracle_SID=projemp.local and the OracleRemExcSer in the System is also "Started" but the Startup Status is "Disabled"
                              • 12. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                                I used windows 7 home premium 64bit. the name of the database is "projemp.local" , even after I setup the Oracle_SID=projemp.local and the OracleRemExcSer in the System is also "Started" but the Startup Type is "Disabled" When I tried to change the Startup Type of OracleRemExSer to "Automatic", it reads "The specified service has been marked for deletion" so I couldn't changed it.

Edited by: 973946 on Nov 29, 2012 7:08 PM
                                • 13. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in windows 7 64 bit OS
                                  sb92075
                                  973946 wrote:
                                  I used windows 7 home premium 64bit. the name of the database is "projemp.local" , even after I setup the Oracle_SID=projemp.local and the OracleRemExcSer in the System is also "Started" but the Startup Type is "Disabled"
                                  I am aware that many different folks have tried & failed to install & run Oracle DB on Windows 7 Home.

No Oracle product is supported on any Windows Home edition.

You could install VirtualBox on Windows 7 then run guest OS inside the VM which supports Oracle DB