This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 3:33 AM by rukbat RSS

Fast Data Access MMU Miss after boot cdrom

977012 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all,

I have been working on a Sun Netra T1 105 for the past two weeks and tried a lot of options there were on this Forum.

There is a kind of Linux installed on the machine, but I don't know what kind.
I have disabled auto boot so when it starts it is going to the ok prompt.
The CD of Solaris 11 is a new one that I burned just two weeks ago and I burned it on 24x speed.
And it is the Sparc version that I downloaded.

I also tried installing a DVD-ROM with the Solaris 10 DVD but it gave the same error.

When I type probe-ide it shows that the seconday Master is a Removable ATAPI Model: TOSHIBA CDROM XM-7002Bc
When I type probe-scsi it shows:
Target 0
Unit 0 Disk Seagate ST39103LCSUN9.0G034A

If I type in: boot cdrom -install
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/pci@1/ide@e/cdrom@2:f File and args: -install
Fast Data Access MMU Miss

This is after a few minutes in which the CD-ROM is being read. After a few minutes the message comes up.

Can anyone tell me what the problem can be or if I need to give more information?

Thank you very much.
Hendrik

Edited by: 974009 on 29-Nov-2012 07:34
  • 1. Re: Fast Data Access MMU Miss after boot cdrom
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    974009 wrote:
    Hello all,
    I have been working on a Sun Netra T1 105 for the past two weeks
    That system is too old for Solaris 11 and Solaris 10. That generation UltraSPARC module isn't going to be recognized by those newer OS's.
    I suggest you go to your preferred online auction web site (for example, eBay) and get any Solaris 8(SPARC) or Solaris 9(SPARC) for that little 1U box.
    I have disabled auto boot so when it starts it is going to the ok prompt.
    Smart. Good move for troubleshooting.
    The CD of Solaris 11 is a new one that I burned just two weeks ago and I burned it on 24x speed.
    And it is the Sparc version that I downloaded.

I also tried installing a DVD-ROM with the Solaris 10 DVD but it gave the same error.
    I hope that means you replaced the original CD reader with a DVD-capable drive.
    When I type probe-ide it shows that the seconday Master is a Removable ATAPI Model: TOSHIBA CDROM XM-7002Bc
    Yes. Since that model computer was discontinued in 2002, there was only a CD-capable drive ever qualified to be used in it.
    When I type probe-scsi it shows:
    Target 0
    Unit 0 Disk Seagate ST39103LCSUN9.0G034A
    A 9GB disk isn't going to be large enough for much more than just a core install of Solaris. You may again need to get larger drive(s) at that same online auction web site. The chassis can hold two internal disks.
    Thank you very much.
    Hendrik

Edited by: 974009 on 29-Nov-2012 07:34
    When you get the chance, glance at this link to a copy of the Netra T105's resource page as it appeared in the old Sun System Handbook (SSH). The link is to a non-Oracle site that mirrors the old now-discontinued free version of that SSH.

Next, while there's not much system documentation for that box offered by Oracle, you can glance through what there happens to be here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19628-01/index.html
  • 2. Re: Fast Data Access MMU Miss after boot cdrom
    977012 Newbie
    Thank you Rukbat,

The way you answered my question is perfect.
    I thought I saw somewhere that you could run Solaris 10 on a Netra T1 105 but I figured it doesn't then.

Yes, I used a dvd drive for the DVD but it wouldn't get recognized.

I will try and find Solaris 8 or 9 but I can't find it on the oracle website.
    Do you know where I could download it? Or does someone have cd's that I can use?

Thank you so much for your help so far.

God bless,

Hendrik van Dijk
    Field IT Systems Administrator
    OM Ireland
  • 3. Re: Fast Data Access MMU Miss after boot cdrom
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Do you know where I could download it?
    Not available any longer. Solaris 8 was never a download but only a purchased media kit.
    Solalris 9 is far too old You may only get it sent to you if you have special purchased additional OS coverage for lagacy products on a service contract. Then you'd need to log a SR with Technical Support to make your request with them.
    Or does someone have cd's that I can use?
    As I mentioned in my first reply - go to your favorite online auction web site, such as eBay. Buy a full media kit for SPARC (not a kit for x86). That way you will get proper commercially pressed CD media and manuals.
  • 4. Re: Fast Data Access MMU Miss after boot cdrom
    963543 Newbie
    well, according to sun/oracle handbook, sol 10 is supported:

Minimum Supported
    Solaris[tm] Operating Environment Versions      
    2.6 5/98 *
    7 (pre-installed) *
    8 (pre-installed) *

* - For specific Solaris installation instructions and requirements, refer to the Netra t1 Model 100/105 Release Notes, 806-2274.

As for Solaris ISo download I recommend following document:

Where to download Oracle Solaris ISO images and Update Releases (Doc ID 1277964.1)

Apart from that MMU miss can mean anything: disk, memory, systemboard etc...

I would recommend connecting through Serial Port and obtaining diagnostic outputs from LOM console.

Hope this helps.
  • 5. Re: Fast Data Access MMU Miss after boot cdrom
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Thanks for adding more assistance, but...
    Grantinho wrote:
    well, according to sun/oracle handbook, sol 10 is supported:
    Solaris 10 may be supported on that platform but I dare anyone to actually install it on that 360MHz or 440MHz UltraSPARC-II based system that will likely have only 1GB of RAM, and actually like how it performs.
    So, `supported` yes but `usable` no.
    As for Solaris ISO download I recommend following document:
    Where to download Oracle Solaris ISO images and Update Releases (Doc ID 1277964.1)
    Access to such a document requies MOS login credentials, and I doubt that the O.P. has that.
    Apart from that MMU miss can mean anything: disk, memory, systemboard etc...
    Yes, there are many causes for those symptoms, including just not starting properly correctly from thet OK prompt.
    I would recommend connecting through Serial Port and obtaining diagnostic outputs from LOM console.
    I think LOM is the default until or unless the system is deliberately reconfigured to become the console. (Difficult to actially remember because it's been over ten years since I touched one of those boxes.)
    Hope this helps.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points