3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 7:56 AM by Jiri.Machotka-Oracle RSS

Workflow reports

Hi,

does anybody have any experience with workflow reports. The problem is that workflow keep all the informations in the companian file in the workflow. When the document is released this file is deleted. I know that there is a workflowhistory table but in this table there is not enough informations on the history of that specific file in the workflow. For example in this table there is no informations on the jumps. If the document was in some step and than jump in some other step, this is not in the workflow history table. Is there any component that can save all the history in the database, i have try the WFInQUEUE component and it only same the curent state of that document and no hystory. Do i realy need to create custom component for this problem, i can't belive that this software works like that? Any suggestions, did anybody create this kind of component?
        • 1. Re: Workflow reports
          Boris T.
          Hi Tomo,

Companion file deletion can be prevented with configuration variable IsSaveWfCompanionFiles=true. Custom component can then retrieve needed data from companion file, even after workflow has finished.

Regards,
          Boris
          • 2. Re: Workflow reports
            Thanx Boris,

this is good to know. I am just wondering how will this impact the whole system. It would be better that those informations are in real time in the database so that reports are easy to make.

T
            • 3. Re: Workflow reports
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              I am just wondering how will this impact the whole system.
              Apparently, you will have more files on the hard drive. Performance-wise, I don't think the system will behave differently.
              It would be better that those informations are in real time in the database so that reports are easy to make.
              In fact, storing workflow info on the filesystem has also other consequences than reporting - it is one of changing information stored (only) in the filesystem, what affects clustering, and disaster recovery. It has also been evaluated several times whether UCM should be able to store all the data in the database only, but never been implemented. Particularly with workflows, the main direction now is the Unified BPM where the information you are asking for is available OOTB - and you are eligible to use it as BPM is a part of WebCenter Content license. And, there is a very good reason for that - at the time of Stellent acquisition Oracle owned about 20 different workflow engine (UCM's workflow being one of them), so consolidation was really necessary.