This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 1:46 PM by CraigB RSS

How to know the database name?

968376 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed oracle 10g and developer suite.. I am trying to create forms now.

But its error out: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified!!!

I forgot the Data base name.. How can I know the database name??

Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!!!!
  • 1. Re: How to know the database name?
    968376 Newbie
    May I get this solution as soon as possbile...

Its so urgent..!!!
  • 2. Re: How to know the database name?
    Prabodh Guru
    *965373*,
    I have installed oracle 10g and developer suite.. I am trying to create forms now.
    But its error out: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified!!!

I forgot the Data base name.. How can I know the database name??
    >

You will find the DB name in the listener.ora file in ORACLE_HOME..\product\..\serverNETWORK\ADMIN folder.
    Look for something like DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE). Here XE is the SID.

If you can connect to the database in SQLPlus or something similar then query the V$DATABASE view.

Cheers,
  • 3. Re: How to know the database name?
    O.Developer Journeyer
    hi

Search for TNsnames.ORa in your pc, then copy this file to where your forms default folder.

This will solve your issue
  • 4. Re: How to know the database name?
    968376 Newbie
    I didnot get. I tried both of the above two solutions...

Can you suggest me any other alternatives???

I want the database name which I am using?? I am unable to connect to SQL*PLUS also..
  • 5. Re: How to know the database name?
    CraigB Guru
    I have installed oracle 10g and developer suite..
    I'm sorry, but you are going to have be more specific as what you installed!

If you installed Oracle Database 10g Express Edition then it is not (by default) configured to allow a connection through SQL*Plus. It is primarily configured to open a connection through the "Go To Database Homepage" url/link in the Start Menu => Oracle Database 10g Express Edition => Go To Database Homepage. In order to connect to the database from SQL*Plus (which is included with Oracle Developer Suite 10g) you will need to run the Net Configuration Assistant to configure your TNSNAMES.ora and SQLNET.ora files. Go to Start Menu => Oracle - DevSuiteHome1 => Configuration and Migration Tools => Net Configuration Assistant to run the assistant. After you run the assistant, test to make sure can connect through SQL*Plus before you attempt to connect through Forms.

Hope this helps,
    Craig...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points