5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 12:57 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

    New Server, Upgrade to apps all in once

    user11986391
      Hi,
      our current version is DB 10.2.0.4 on Unix and apps 12.0.6 on Linux (SUSE 10).
      We are planning to upgrade our db to oracle appliance 11R2 and Virtual Linux (SUSE 11).

      Please advice how to go about.
      1. Upgrade apps to 12.1.6 (?) in current box and Upgrade db to 11g in current box
      2. Migrate current version to new server and upgrade there
      3. Re-Implement 12.1.6 in new env and then upgrade.

      Also, can we move from 12.0.6 to 12.1.6 directly?
        • 1. Re: New Server, Upgrade to apps all in once
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          user11986391 wrote:
          Hi,
          our current version is DB 10.2.0.4 on Unix and apps 12.0.6 on Linux (SUSE 10).
          We are planning to upgrade our db to oracle appliance 11R2 and Virtual Linux (SUSE 11).

          Please advice how to go about.
          1. Upgrade apps to 12.1.6 (?) in current box and Upgrade db to 11g in current box
          2. Migrate current version to new server and upgrade there
          3. Re-Implement 12.1.6 in new env and then upgrade.

          Also, can we move from 12.0.6 to 12.1.6 directly?
          Oracle EBS 12.1.6 version is available yet (and will not be available). The latest R12 release is 12.1.3 and the next release will be 12.2

          So, the best plan would be:

          Upgrade the database to 11.2.0.3 -- Interoperability Notes EBS R12 with Database 11gR2 [ID 1058763.1]
          Upgrade to 12.1.1 -- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1 Maintenance Pack Installation Instructions [ID 752619.1]
          Upgrade to 12.1.3 -- https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/ebs_1213_available

          You can then clone to the new servers -- Rapid Clone Documentation Resources For Release 11i and 12 [ID 799735.1]

          Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: New Server, Upgrade to apps all in once
            user11986391
            Thanks,
            Can I do the db upgrade seperately from the apps. I mean, first upgrade the db then wait for another week or so to do the apps upgrade?
            • 3. Re: New Server, Upgrade to apps all in once
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              user11986391 wrote:
              Thanks,
              Can I do the db upgrade seperately from the apps. I mean, first upgrade the db then wait for another week or so to do the apps upgrade?
              Yes.

              Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: New Server, Upgrade to apps all in once
                user11986391
                Hussein

                When I go thru the Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone [ID 406982.1]
                It says, that I should be at SUSE linux 11, if I want to upgrade to 12.1.1. Here is the situation I'm, please advice.

                We are on SUSE Linux 10 currently and network is planning to go to a new server with Linux 11. In this case what should I do.
                1. Copy the current setup directly into new server with Linux 11 and then do the upgrade there
                2. Once the new server is ready with Linux 11, clone existing 12.0.6 into new server, upgrade in new server to 12.1.1

                Thanks
                • 5. Re: New Server, Upgrade to apps all in once
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  user11986391 wrote:
                  Hussein

                  When I go thru the Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone [ID 406982.1]
                  It says, that I should be at SUSE linux 11, if I want to upgrade to 12.1.1. Here is the situation I'm, please advice.

                  We are on SUSE Linux 10 currently and network is planning to go to a new server with Linux 11. In this case what should I do.
                  1. Copy the current setup directly into new server with Linux 11 and then do the upgrade there
                  2. Once the new server is ready with Linux 11, clone existing 12.0.6 into new server, upgrade in new server to 12.1.1

                  Thanks
                  12.0.6 is not certified with SUSE 11 while 12.1.1/12.1.3 is certified on SUSE 10/11

                  So, you need to upgrade on the exiting nodes then migrate/clone.

                  Thanks,
                  Hussein