differences between Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6  and 11.1.2

JeanYves Bernier Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello !

Which version should I choose 11.1.2 or 11.1.1.6

11.1.2 must me the latest one aka 11gR2
11.1.1.6 must be 11gR1 PS5

Am i right ?

but in the forms home page it seems that the 11.1.1.6 is the latest version ??

Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6 Released
The latest version of Oracle Forms (11.1.1.6) has been released.
This can be downloaded from My Oracle Support (MOS)
23-Feb-2012

Oracle Forms 11g Release 2 has been released. Read about the new features.
Oct-2011

I suppose that in a MiddleWare stack : SOA suite + BI publisher + Forms, the 11.1.1.6 (11gR1 PS5) is the best choice.

Can somebody explain me the differences between Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6 and 11.1.2 ?

Thanks
Regards
Jean-Yves
  • 1. Re: differences between Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6  and 11.1.2
    CraigB Guru
    Well, the short answer is that version 11.1.1.6 is Oracle Fusion Middleware Release 1 with patches applied. Version 11.1.2 is Oracle Fusion Middleware Release 2 with no patches installed. If you are new to Oracle Forms and are trying to determine which version you should start with, I would recommend 11.1.2 as this is the most currect release.

Release 2 (11.1.2) is suppose to include all of the bug fixes in version 11.1.1.6.

Hope this helps.
    Craig...
  • 2. Re: differences between Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6  and 11.1.2
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    There are many new features in 11.1.2.0 that do not exist in 11.1.1. Some of the most significant new features are listed in the 11gR2 New Features documentation found on this page:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms

Additional information about new features and changes can be found in the product documentation for 11gR2, which is here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24269_01/index.htm

One important thing to note is that FMw 11.1.2 (11gR2) does not include Portal or Discover. So if you need either or both of these you will need to stick with 11.1.1.
  • 3. Re: differences between Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6  and 11.1.2
    Hi Craig,
    Well,.. I'm not so new to Oracle Forms as I develop with it since the 4.5 version of the product.. ;-)

We are currently in 10.1.2.3 for Forms and with BI in 10.1.3.4. (2 OAS on 2 different servers)
    In the next weeks/months, we want now to introduce also BPEL ....

So I'm trying to convince my boss to make the step and migrate the whole thing to 11g instead of having different versions of 10.1.x one for Forms, one for BI and one for BPEL

He is aware that we will have to migrate soon or later, but ... he also wants quick results ans steps forward with new functionality as soon as possible....

I just want to be sure to have a stack for all the products to work together in a single version.

My first goal is to choose the BPEL in 11g, to make the new development on it and after that plug the migration of Fean-Yvesorms and BI to 11g.

For that reasons the natural approach for me was to choose the 11gR1 PS5 but as you explain "Release 2 (11.1.2) is suppose to include all of the bug fixes in version 11.1.1.6."
    So it might not be a problem to mix 11.1.1.6 version of SOA suite and Bi with 11.1.2 version of Forms ?

Thanks for your answer, helpful as usual

Jean-Yves
  • 4. Re: differences between Oracle Forms 11.1.1.6  and 11.1.2
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) wrote:
    There are many new features in 11.1.2.0 that do not exist in 11.1.1. Some of the most significant new features are listed in the 11gR2 New Features documentation found on this page:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms

Additional information about new features and changes can be found in the product documentation for 11gR2, which is here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24269_01/index.htm

One important thing to note is that FMw 11.1.2 (11gR2) does not include Portal or Discover. So if you need either or both of these you will need to stick with 11.1.1.
    Hi Michael,

One of the features which is very very important in my point of view is

Reduced Installation Footprint
    In order to reduce the resource requirements on development machines, you can perform an
    installation specifically tailored for development. This will limit the number of software products
    and servers installed on the machine whilst still allowing a developer to build, run and test their
    Forms application.

If this feature is only available for the 11.1.2 release then the choice is made !

Thanks !

Jean-Yves

ps : and we don't use any portal or discoverer :-)

Edited by: JeanYves Bernier on 30 nov. 2012 23:54

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points