This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2012 10:54 AM by jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias RSS

32-bit JDK 7 System.out.println not working in IDE

bobz Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi folks,

I have a 64-bit Windows 7 OS.

Due to 3rd party library/jar dependencies, i had to install the 32-bit Java JDK 1.7 and Eclipse IDE.
I also installed NetBeans.

So i have a 64-bit OS and am running 32-bit Java JDK/JRE & IDEs.

The problem I am having is that my program's System.out.println("...") statements are not outputting strings to either IDE debug console.

Executing the compiled program from a command line/prompt produces the expected string output.

The basic "Hello, World" program is enough to cause this behaviour to start occurring.

I have not manually / intentionally changed any IDE-specific Debug Console or Windows environment settings.

One caveat: This same environment has worked successfully in the past ?! Yes, this is one of those "..it worked last week & yesterday and today it isn't and i swear i didn't do anything..." issue.

Thoughts ?
  • 1. Re: 32-bit JDK 7 System.out.println not working in IDE
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Did you install 64 bit first then 32 bit later. At least one time that was problematic.

You could redirect System.out to a file and that might indicate whether the IDE or VM was having the problem.
  • 2. Re: 32-bit JDK 7 System.out.println not working in IDE
    bobz Newbie
    Thanks for the reply.

The 64-bit versions of Java & Eclipse were installed first.
    When i discovered I had to use the 32-bit versions, i un-installed the 64-bit ones & installed the 32-bits.
    Even after that initial un-install 64-bit/install 32-bit process, it was working.

I have also been installing the Windows 7 64-bit OS updates when i am informed of them.
    I'm not sure if any of these would affect how the Eclipse / NetBeans IDEs behave.

Behaviour has been inconsistent.
    Initially it was always working.
    But over the past several days, it has been working less and less.
    I don't have any large data structures.
    This isn't a large complicated program, couple hundred lines, so i highly doubt that i'm doing anything to the resources, but something has changed.

The main project I am working on takes command line parameters, does some initial processing, produces output using System.out.printlns [SOP] then depending on the parameters, branches into 2 different processing paths, let's call them A & B. Each of these processing paths also use SOPs. When i run the program in the IDE going thru path A, sometimes the initial SOP statements will work and the SOP statements specific to path A will also work. If i immediately change the parameters to go thru path B & re-run it, not even the initial SOP statements before the branching decision work.

I've tried doing System.flush()s too - no affect.
    I haven't tried the re-direction option to a file option you mentioned yet.

It always works from a command prompt - that is telling me that the Java SOPs are working properly, correct ?

Inside an Eclipse or NetBeans IDE, SOP output to the debug console is inconsistent.
    Running from a command prompt, the SOPs always work.

It'd help to know if this an IDE issue, a Java issue, a Windows 7 issue so i can narrow down where to try and correct the situation.

I have a Windows XP VM set up, i'll try running the program there and see if there's a difference.

Thanks for your reply.
  • 3. Re: 32-bit JDK 7 System.out.println not working in IDE
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    BZ Annapolis wrote:
    It always works from a command prompt - that is telling me that the Java SOPs are working properly, correct ?
    Eclipse could be using a different VM.

>
    Inside an Eclipse or NetBeans IDE, SOP output to the debug console is inconsistent.
    Running from a command prompt, the SOPs always work.

It'd help to know if this an IDE issue, a Java issue, a Windows 7 issue so i can narrow down where to try and correct the situation.
    Since it always works from the command line it would seem to be a IDE issue. Other than that it might be some esoteric Win7 API issue.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points