This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 6:36 AM by Jeff Smith SQLDev PM RSS

SQL developer download - unable to connect

974874 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello, I'm a beginner at Oracle SQL developer. I just downloaded the sql developer 3.2.20.09.87 one which includes zip file JDK. However it is not letting me connect. This is the error I'm getting.

failure- test failed: IO error: The network adapter could not establish the connection.

How do I fix it.
  • 1. Re: SQL developer download - unable to connect
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!
    >
    Hello, I'm a beginner at Oracle SQL developer. I just downloaded the sql developer 3.2.20.09.87 one which includes zip file JDK. However it is not letting me connect. This is the error I'm getting.

failure- test failed: IO error: The network adapter could not establish the connection.

How do I fix it.
    >
    How would we know? That's about the same as saying 'help, my car won't start. why won't my car start?'. Maybe you didn't put it in park, maybe you didn't put the key in the ignition, maybe you dont' have any gas. How would we know?

You have to provide detailed information about
    1. what you are doing
    2. how you are doing it
    3. any errors or messages you are getting.

All you did is provide #3.

What are you doing? What database and version are you trying to connect to? What connection parameters did you use?
  • 2. Re: SQL developer download - unable to connect
    974874 Newbie
    1. what you are doing : I've downloaded : Oracle SQL Developer 3.2.2 (3.2.20.09.87)
    Windows 32-bit - zip file includes the JDK1.6.0_35 Download 209 M

2. how you are doing it: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html
    Downloaded via this link.
    Tried to create a new connection .
    Host : localhost
    Port: 1521
    username n p/w: HR
    Sid: xe

3. any errors or messages you are getting: failure- test failed: IO error: The network adapter could not establish the connection.
  • 3. Re: SQL developer download - unable to connect
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    SQL Developer is just a client tool.

You need the server bit, in this case, an Oracle database.

With your connection details, you could download a copy of 11gR2 Express Edition (XE), and run that on your machine.

Or you could cheat and run our self-contained Developer Days Hands on Lab Virtual Box image, which has 11gR2 Enterprise Edition running on Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL).

Oracle database comes with SQL Developer, but Oracle SQL Developer doesn't come with a database.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points