This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 11:05 PM by anappsdba RSS

ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file

anappsdba Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I am getting error "ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file"

My os is RHEL 5.5, 64-bit
Database version is 11.1.0.7

Help !
  • 1. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    sb92075 Guru
    VinodNagpure wrote:
    Hi, I am getting error "ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file"

My os is RHEL 5.5, 64-bit
    Database version is 11.1.0.7

Help !
    how is it that you find yourself confronted by this error message?
    What bad event occurred that you have not shared with us?

what additional clues exist within the alert_SID.log file?
  • 2. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    We were doint cloning of another instance on the same server. I don't know what exactly has happened. I found following error stack in the alert log just when the issue started:

Errors in file /oracle/STAGING/db/tech_st/11.1.0/admin/STAGING_dev/diag/rdbms/staging/STAGING/trace/STAGING_j001_15750.trc (incident=23131):
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kcbz_check_objd_typ], [0], [0], [1], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []
    Incident details in: /oracle/STAGING/db/tech_st/11.1.0/admin/STAGING_dev/diag/rdbms/staging/STAGING/incident/incdir_23131/STAGING_j001_15750_i23131.trc
    Errors in file /oracle/STAGING/db/tech_st/11.1.0/admin/STAGING_dev/diag/rdbms/staging/STAGING/trace/STAGING_j001_15750.trc (incident=23132):
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kccocx_noenq_02], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []
    ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: '/oracle/STAGING/db/apps_st/data/log01a.dbf'
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kcbz_check_objd_typ], [0], [0], [1], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []
    Incident details in: /oracle/STAGING/db/tech_st/11.1.0/admin/STAGING_dev/diag/rdbms/staging/STAGING/incident/incdir_23132/STAGING_j001_15750_i23132.trc
    Errors in file /oracle/STAGING/db/tech_st/11.1.0/admin/STAGING_dev/diag/rdbms/staging/STAGING/incident/incdir_23131/STAGING_j001_15750_i23131.trc:
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kccocx_noenq_02], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []
    ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: '/oracle/STAGING/db/apps_st/data/log01a.dbf'
    Sat Dec 01 11:33:58 2012
    Trace dumping is performing id=[cdmp_20121201113358]
    Sat Dec 01 11:33:58 2012
    Sweep Incident[23132]: completed
    Sat Dec 01 11:34:00 2012
    Errors in file /oracle/STAGING/db/tech_st/11.1.0/admin/STAGING_dev/diag/rdbms/staging/STAGING/incident/incdir_23131/STAGING_j001_15750_i23131.trc:
    ORA-00339: archived log does not contain any redo
  • 3. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    sb92075 Guru
    VinodNagpure wrote:
    We were doint cloning of another instance on the same server. I don't know what exactly has happened. I found following error stack in the alert log just when the issue started:
    the cloning operation was incorrect or incomplete.

When DB is correctly cloned, then no errors get thrown when DB is opened.
  • 4. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    But we were not cloning this instance, and the instance which was being cloned is ok. The database as well as the application is open. The issue is with another database running on the same server.
  • 5. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    sb92075 Guru
    VinodNagpure wrote:
    But we were not cloning this instance, and the instance which was being cloned is ok. The database as well as the application is open. The issue is with another database running on the same server.
    I suspect that the "working" DB has a file that over-wrote a file of the DB reporting the errors.

*NIX OS is not idiotproofed against somebody fumble fingering file name.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 6. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    I agree that this could have happened. But what can be done now to open the database ?
  • 7. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    sb92075 Guru
    VinodNagpure wrote:
    I agree that this could have happened. But what can be done now to open the database ?
    You can't un-ring a bell.

can you FLASHBACK?

I would restore from backups; since this is a prime example why you do backup in the first place.
  • 8. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    We don't have any backup as this is a test instance. Flashback too is not enabled ! Is clearing the logfiles and open resetlogs an option here ?
  • 9. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    sb92075 Guru
    VinodNagpure wrote:
    We don't have any backup as this is a test instance. Flashback too is not enabled ! Is clearing the logfiles and open resetlogs an option here ?
    00338, 00000, "log %s of thread %s is more recent than control file"
    // *Cause:  The control file change sequence number in the log file is
    //         greater than the number in the control file. This implies that
    //         the wrong control file is being used. Note that repeatedly causing
    //         this error can make it stop happening without correcting the real
    //         problem. Every attempt to open the database will advance the
    //         control file change sequence number until it is great enough.
    // *Action: Use the current control file or do backup control file recovery to
    //         make the control file current. Be sure to follow all restrictions
    //         on doing a backup control file recovery.
    I am not clear if the controlfile or redo logfile got over written.
    You would be wise to take a complete backup before trying any recovery action;
    so you can at least get back to where you are now.
  • 10. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    Thanks !!
    I have taken a cold backup. I had raised an SR for this and oracle just updated that re-creating the controlfile will fix the issue ! :)
  • 11. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Please mark this thread as answered .
  • 12. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    The issue is still unresolved:

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "STAGING" NORESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
    ORA-01161: database name ERP in file header does not match given name of
    STAGING
    ORA-01517: log member: '/oracle/STAGING/db/apps_st/data/log01a.dbf'
  • 13. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    -Check if the datafile is exists
    -Recreate controlfile
  • 14. Re: ORA-00338: ORA-00338: log 2 of thread 1 is more recent than control file
    anappsdba Newbie
    The datafiles are all there but looks like our redo log files are overwritten by wrong instance while doing restore and recover by rman. During cloning of another instance, this must have happened after controlfile is restored by rman and then at the time of renaming the redo logs.

alter database rename file '/oradb/ERP/db/apps_st/data/log02a.dbf' to '/oracle/STAGING/db/apps_st/data/log02a.dbf';

which should have been

alter database rename file '/oradb/ERP/db/apps_st/data/log02a.dbf' to '/oracle/PRODCLON/db/apps_st/data/log02a.dbf';

However I could not find this command in the alert log. Could it have been overwritten by new instance (alert log i mean) ?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points