This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 12:33 AM by 14185 RSS

I/O-Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

14185 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

our productive database server is protected by a firewall. To be able to connect to this database, we have to start a tunnel software. Sometimes we forget the start of the tunnel software. The connection attempt with SQL Developer to this database fails with "I/O Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection - Manufacturercode 17002".
With the previous SQL Developer Version we were able to reconnect successfully after first starting the tunnel software without the restart of Oracle SQL Developer. With the Version 3.2.20.09.87 of Oracle SQL Developer this does not work any more. We have to close Oracle SQL Developer and start it again to be able to connect to the firewall protected database.

yours sincerly
Matthias

Edited by: Matthias E. Müller on 28.11.2012 05:32
  • 1. Re: I/O-Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Matthias,

What is the exact SQL Developer version for which connect to production DB after activating tunneling software in the same session last worked? Which tunneling software product do you use?

In terms of our own firewall testing, only the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client was checked. I recently opened 3 applications from outside the firewall, used AnyConnect to go behind the firewall, then tried to continue using those applications. The results:

1. FireFox browser: attempt to refresh an open web page or open a new page fails. Need to exit and restart FireFox.
    2. ThunderBird mail client: attempt to open mails hosted on email server hangs for a several seconds but ultimately succeeds.
    3. SQL Developer: open connection to DB behind firewall. Works almost instantly.

Originally (3) failed (before AnyConnect session) with an ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist.

So it seems results vary depending on the application. We can log a bug for the regression you experienced if you are able to provide a clear test case, but since the test case environment does not seem to match any of our standard QA environments, this may be something you will need to pursue through Oracle Support. Probably best to have Support create an SR for this one if you are able.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: I/O-Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
    14185 Newbie
    Hi Gary,

unfortunately i deleted my old sqldeveloper software directories. With the previous version 3.2.10.09.57 of SQL Developer, it didn't work either. Lately, there have been some changes with the tunneling software. The current tunneling software is called "Java Secure Application Manager". I'm not sure if this is the name of the product. So first i will ask our firewall guys, if they are able to fix this situation. And if they cannot fix it, i will file a bug via Oracle Support.

Thank you for your help!
    Matthias

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points