This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 8:05 PM by 960068 RSS

Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager

960068 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I Couldn't start EPM Architect - Process Manager because of which unable to launch Dimension Library, Application Library and Calc Manager from Workspace.
This services starts rest dependent services but it stops in one or two minutes states status as 'starting'.
I am on Windows 2003 R2, Hyperion 11.1.1.3, MSSQL 2005

Regards
Kumar
  • 1. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Hello Kumar,

Does the service start or it does not start at all?

Can you check Event Viewer for the error message specific to the EPMA - process manager.

Additionally you can run the following queries on the database that you have used to configure EPMA -

ALTER DATABASE EPMA SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON;
    ALTER DATABASE EPMA SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON;

In the above example EPMA is my database that I have used to configure EPMA with.

Thanks.
    HyperionEPM
  • 2. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    'Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager' service doesn't start automatically as it supposed to. I do start it manually then it starts saying "starting" for a minute or two then stops itself, and bunch of other dependent services stop along with it as well.

Event Viewer has below error related to the service
    +Service cannot be started. Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.Interface.ProcessManagerException: Dimension Server started but failed to initialize on machine xxxx.  Check the error log on that machine.
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.EngineManager.StartEngine(Machine machine, EngineType engineType)
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.EngineManager.InitializeReadWriteEngine()
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.EngineManager.Load()
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.ProcessManager.Initialize()
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.Service.OnStart(String[] args)
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.+

ALTER DATABASE MYDBNAME SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON; ran query and waited for 15 minutes, it looks like didn't complete, keeps on displaying "Executing query", I've stopped.

ALTER DATABASE MYDBNAME SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON; completed successfully.

It still has same error.
    Regards
  • 3. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    Jake Turrell Expert
    The SNAPSHOT settings below can only be executed with a single active database connection - the one executing the ALTER DATABASE command. The SINGLE_USER SQL statement (see below) essentially kills all other database connections. Without this command, the query below may not complete and will appear to run forever.

Use the SQL below instead:

ALTER DATABASE <Insert Database Name Here>
    SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON

SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON

COLLATE SQL_latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

SET MULTI_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

FYI - this is a common issue. Execute this SQL and you should be good to go.

- Jake
  • 4. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    All queries ran successfully this time but problem didn't fix
    Regrds
  • 5. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    Does anyone have idea as what causing service to stop?
    Regards
  • 6. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Hello,

Can you check if any other service is running on the port that is required by the EPMA Process manager to start.

Any error for the EPMA Dimension server in the eventviewer?

Thanks.
    HyperionEPM
    Please mark answers as helpful or correct so that others can find it easily_
  • 7. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    Process_Manager on Event Viewer has below error

Service cannot be started. Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.Interface.ProcessManagerException: Dimension Server started but failed to initialize on machine MyMachineName. Check the error log on that machine.
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.EngineManager.StartEngine(Machine machine, EngineType engineType)
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.EngineManager.InitializeReadWriteEngine()
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.EngineManager.Load()
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.ProcessManager.Initialize()
    at Hyperion.DimensionServer.ProcessManager.Service.OnStart(String[] args)
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

How do I check if other services running on port(what is the port no?, isn't it 8300?)?
    netstat -an|findstr 8300 ?

Regards
  • 8. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    hyperionEPM Journeyer
    Hello,

Check for the port number - 5250. This is the default port number for EPMA - Dimension server. You will get Process ID (PID). Launch task manager and check the PID and the process that is running on that port. If any other application is running on that port, go to services and stop the service for some time and then try to login

netstat -ano | find /i "5250"

This is only if you are getting any error specific to EPMA - Dimension server.

Thanks,
    HyperionEPM
    Please mark answers as helpful or correct so that others can find it easily+
  • 9. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    Port 5250 is not being used, my basic problem is none of Hyperion EPM Architect * services are starting.
    Regards
  • 10. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    I'm still waiting for resolution, would someone help me out?
    Regards,
    Kumar
  • 11. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    dwhpc Journeyer
    Hi Kumar,

Can you please try below steps...

1) Try to increase the DimensionServerStartupTimeout settings in BPMA_Server_Config.xml File”.

Please refer epma_admin.pdf - 593 - 600 (there is defined steps for SQL SERVER) - please have a deep look and do the settings.

And please check whether IIS - all sub components are up and running.

Thanls
  • 12. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    674672 Newbie
    When you start the Process Manager, check the logs in SQL to make sure that it connects to the database. In most cases a service would start and then stop if it fails to connect to the corresponding relational database. This should also be easy to spot in EPMA service log - hyperion log not system event viewer.

Cheers,
    Alin
  • 13. Re: Couldn't start Hyperion EPM Architect - Process Manager
    960068 Newbie
    Thanks for your replies, I am away form machine for a couple of months from now, will check let you know.
    Thanks,
    Kumar

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points