This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 5:29 AM by Dude! RSS

Shutdown leads to Restart

karthiksingh_dba Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Legends,

I have installed a OL 5.7 64bit in that if i press the SHUTDOWN option it is normally shutting down and goes to power off the fan and again after a time interval of 5seconds it starts again the machine.

Previously i faced the problem of GUI in this machine so that i changed the GUI of BIOS and finally it did not work, but did some googling for GUI problem and got soln by removing the rhgb quiet from the GRUB menu.

But now am facing the SHUTDOWN RESTART problem, where i have tried to shutdown -h now and several commands like this but none works except one halt -fihp which shuts down immediately but it leads to bad sectors in HDD.

So i kindly request you to help me on this issue. Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Karthik Singh
  • 1. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Sounds like a BIOS/CMOS issue.

The halt procedure uses a standard series of CPU instructions to initiate a power down. When this does not work as expected, I would first look at the h/w that is suppose to adhere and implemented this, than to blame the standard procedure itself.

Some CMOS have an option to restart the server in case of a powerfailure (we enable this on our x86_64 servers). It could be that the CMOS mistakes the shutdown procedure as a powerfailure and re-enable the power-on automatically.

What hardware are you using? Have you gone through the CMOS and played around with different settings to see if that isolates the problem? Does this h/w have lights-out-management?
  • 2. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Dude! Guru
    A shutdown of a system should never cause bad sectors on a hard drive. Your hard drive is very likely defect and perhaps causing a system crash and automatic restart during the shutdown procedure.
  • 3. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Thanks for your response.
    The halt procedure uses a standard series of CPU instructions to initiate a power down. When this does not work as expected, I would first look at the h/w that is suppose to adhere and implemented this, than to blame the standard procedure itself.
    You mean any H/w changes? if so i did not changed any H/w.
    Some CMOS have an option to restart the server in case of a powerfailure (we enable this on our x86_64 servers). It could be that the CMOS mistakes the shutdown procedure as a powerfailure and re-enable the power-on automatically.
    So then how do i set it normal shutdown?
    What hardware are you using? Have you gone through the CMOS and played around with different settings to see if that isolates the problem? Does this h/w have lights-out-management?
    GIGABYTE M/B
    INTEL Core i5 Proc
    2 TB SATA HDD
    8GB RAM

Yes i gone through the CMOS for the GUI Problem by removing the CMOS and replacing but GUI Problem solved, now this shutdown/restart appeared. But i found one thing in this machine, i have installed OL with a VISION Instance for other 3 machines which have same configuration's except the M/B is different, but ONLY THIS MACHINE IS TOO SLOW, i don't know why...?

Please help me to fix this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
    Karthik Singh
  • 4. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Thanks for your response.
    Dude wrote:
    A shutdown of a system should never cause bad sectors on a hard drive. Your hard drive is very likely defect and perhaps causing a system crash and automatic restart during the shutdown procedure.
    You are right but A PROPER SHUTDOWN, according to my situation am using halt -fihp to shutdown which shuts immediately and again while i start the machine it use to check the file system until it completes only i can able to login to the system, if not i'm not able to login.

Since am a beginner for LINUX doing all these things without any guidance except GOOGLE.

Thanks & Regards,
    Karthik Singh
  • 5. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    karthiksingh_dba wrote:

You mean any H/w changes? if so i did not changed any H/w.
    No, I did not refer to h/w changes. The s/w (kernel) instructs the machine to shutdown. Now if this does not happen correct and the h/w does not power down, but does a reset instead, then I would expect the h/w to be problematic. Not the s/w.
    So then how do i set it normal shutdown?
    When booting, press Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-Ins or whatever to access the CMOS screen - go through the CMOS config pages and see what configuration parameters there are and what these are set to.
    GIGABYTE M/B
    INTEL Core i5 Proc
    2 TB SATA HDD
    8GB RAM
    I have several Oracle Linux 5.7 installations on Intel i5 machines. No problems - like the system not shutting down.

Yes i gone through the CMOS for the GUI Problem by removing the CMOS and replacing but GUI Problem solved, now this shutdown/restart appeared. But i found one thing in this machine, i have installed OL with a VISION Instance for other 3 machines which have same configuration's except the M/B is different, but ONLY THIS MACHINE IS TOO SLOW, i don't know why...?
    Sounds like you have several issues - possibly related. As Dude said, a shutdown will not damage the disk - unless there is some hardware issue. Which could very likely be the case if this h/w does not act the same as other identical h/w.

If you enter shutdown -h now, what does +/var/log/messages+ show? How does the kernel respond? Does the system power down?
  • 6. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Hi,
    When booting, press Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-Ins or whatever to access the CMOS screen - go through the CMOS config pages and see what configuration parameters there are and what these are set to.
    Default settings are there. Is there any separate option for power off something like that.?
    GIGABYTE M/B
    INTEL Core i5 Proc
    2 TB SATA HDD
    8GB RAM
    I have several Oracle Linux 5.7 installations on Intel i5 machines. No problems - like the system not shutting down.
    that's what the same am also using with other 3 machines but this system is a hell for me struggling for 2 months.
    Sounds like you have several issues - possibly related. As Dude said, a shutdown will not damage the disk - unless there is some hardware issue. Which could very likely be the case if this h/w does not act the same as other identical h/w.
    then why is it saying now Checking file systems and /u01 is checking for a long time

Even i have given fsck while it asks. Currently am facing the checking file system screen is this not a HDD Bad Sector issue? may be am wrong correct me please.

>
    If you enter shutdown -h now, what does +/var/log/messages+ show? How does the kernel respond? Does the system power down?
    i did not noticed the log but the system goes to shutdown normal as soon as the fan goes to stop fully then with a time interval of 5 seconds again the machine starts.

Thanks & Regards,
    Karthik Singh
  • 7. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    karthiksingh_dba wrote:

Default settings are there. Is there any separate option for power off something like that.?
    That depends on the CMOS options. The h/w's APM (Advance Power Management) interface deals with, amongst other things, powering down the system, See Setting Power States at http://wiki.osdev.org/APM.
    then why is it saying now Checking file systems and /u01 is checking for a long time
    Because the file system is damaged? The disk has numerous bad sectors? A failing disk can cause extremely slow disk checls.
    Even i have given fsck while it asks. Currently am facing the checking file system screen is this not a HDD Bad Sector issue? may be am wrong correct me please.
    Yes, it could be a bad disk. Also keep in mind that fschk should not be used on a file system opened in write mode.
    i did not noticed the log but the system goes to shutdown normal as soon as the fan goes to stop fully then with a time interval of 5 seconds again the machine starts.
    This is not an o/s kernel issue IMO (assuming the kernel used the standard APM BIOS interrupt to issue a power down - and this is a reasonable assumption of the Linux kernel).

In which case - if the APM decides not to power down and recycle, then that is a h/w issue.
  • 8. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Dude! Guru
    You are right but A PROPER SHUTDOWN, according to my situation am using halt -fihp to shutdown which shuts immediately and again while i start the machine it use to check the file system until it completes only i can able to login to the system, if not i'm not able to login.
    A hard disk is subject to fsck at system restart depending on filesystem settings (tune2fs) and a hidden file named .autofsck, which resets depending on whether or not your shutdown procedure was successful. A proper shutdown will write back your file system cache and stop running services, for instance.

The command halt -fihp is not a proper shutdown procedure and causing your filesystem to be checked or revert to a previous journal at system restart. It does not check for bad blocks. The procedure to perform a proper and immediate shutdown on a Linux system is shutdown -h now. If you have indeed back blocks or file system corruption regardless, then you have a hardware problem or driver issue.
  • 9. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Hi,

Thanks for your response
    A hard disk is subject to fsck at system restart depending on filesystem settings (tune2fs) and a hidden file named .autofsck, which resets depending on whether or not your shutdown procedure was successful. A proper shutdown will write back your file system cache and stop running services, for instance.

The command halt -fihp is not a proper shutdown procedure and causing your filesystem to be checked or revert to a previous journal at system restart. It does not check for bad blocks. The procedure to perform a proper and immediate shutdown on a Linux system is shutdown -h now. If you have indeed back blocks or file system corruption regardless, then you have a hardware problem or driver issue.
    Now i reset all the BIOS settings to the old one and now again the problem is if i click shutdown option in System menu it looks like shutting down but still the processor lights and fan are ON.

This is the problem faced when this system comes into our office which we did not noticed, later analysing the root cause i came to know this from my colleague.

Is that i have to give a long press to turn off the machine?

Now what will be the solution for this?

Thanks for all your patience who ever replied to me.

Regards,
    Karthik
  • 10. Re: Shutdown leads to Restart
    Dude! Guru
    The shutdown command should power off the machine by default on systems that support a soft power-off. You may have to verify your BIOS that the system does not wake up on network traffic or when peripheral is connected.

I suggest to open a terminal command prompt, login as root and type the shutdown command as previously mentioned. You can check /var/log/messages for any clues about a previous shutdown failure. You can also add the -P parameter to experiment with power off options. Your computer may require a BIOS upgrade to support power-off by software. I suggest to check the support pages of your computer manufacturer for further information and troubleshooting your computer specific problem.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points