This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 9:14 AM by RickG RSS

Network security with Oracle Database Cloud Service

930592 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Does the Oracle Database Cloud service support SSL? Or, any form of network encryption/authentication between a client and the service across the Internet?
  • 1. Re: Network security with Oracle Database Cloud Service
    RickG Explorer
    Hello -

All communication with the Database Cloud should use SSL. Thanks for your interest.

- Rick Greenwald
  • 2. Re: Network security with Oracle Database Cloud Service
    930592 Newbie
    Thank you Rick. I'm intending to use Oracle Database Cloud Service as a "Database-as-a-Service", however I have read that it is actually more of a "Platform-as-a-Service" offering.

What I would like to do is to interact with the Oracle Database Cloud Service via a local JDBC client. However, from further reading, it looks like the only way to interact with the Oracle Database Cloud Service from a non-Oracle-cloud-based client is via its RESTful web services (which, as you said, support SSL).

That is to say, I cannot simply connect to the Oracle Database Cloud Service from a local client just through JDBC alone. It looks like I would have to configure my client to make the relevant RESTful web service calls instead, and likewise configure my settings on the Oracle Database Cloud Service to make the necessary translations (from REST to SQL).

Just to finally clarify, is my above understanding correct?
  • 3. Re: Network security with Oracle Database Cloud Service
    RickG Explorer
    Yes, your understanding is correct. You cannot connect to an Oracle Database Cloud Service using JDBC from outside the Cloud. You could run a Java application in the Java Cloud and use JDBC to communicate between them, but not from outside the Oracle Cloud.

- Rick Greenwald

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points