This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 6:52 AM by 754567 RSS

Form application freeze - SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT parameters

754567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We are facing Forms freeze issue with our application which is in Forms 6i now.

Could anybody explain the parameters SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT with regard to this.

When I checked SQLNET.ora at DB server SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME is set as 10. What does this mean..?.

Also where FORMS_TIMEOUT parameter can be set..?. What is this particular parameter..?.

Anybody please share your thoughts...

Thanks in advance

Kiran
  • 1. Re: Form application freeze - SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT parameters
    AlexDiniasi Journeyer
    Hello Kiran,

The following parameters affect the timeout for forms over the web.

FORMS_TIMEOUT

This parameter specifies the amount of time in elapsed minutes before the Form Services process is terminated when there is no client communication with the Form Services. Client communication can come from the user doing some work, or from the Forms Client "heartbeat" if the user is not actively using the form.

Forms 6i - FORMS60_TIMEOUT
    Forms 9i - FORMS90_TIMEOUT
    Forms 10.1.2.x or 11g - FORMS_TIMEOUT

Can be set in Forms Environment File (*.env)$ORACLE_HOME/forms/server/default.env.

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=10 (10 minutes, for example). With this parameter in place, after 10 minutes of inactivity, the server send a small 10 bytes probe packet to the client. If this packet is not acknowledge, the connection will be closed and the associated resources will be released.

Kind regards,
    Alex

If someone's answer is helpful or correct please mark it accordingly.
  • 2. Re: Form application freeze - SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT parameters
    754567 Newbie
    Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your valuable comment.
    But is the FORMS_TIMEOUT parameter is only applicable for applications on WEB..(deployed in webserver) ??.

Our application works in a Citrix environment where the forms got installed in citrix server and is being used by a number of citrix clients...?.
    And now users are complaining they have issues where form hangs.. and they virtually need to close the application and login again.

So does this parameter is relevant in this regard...??. Any ideas..??.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Kiran
  • 3. Re: Form application freeze - SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT parameters
    754567 Newbie
    Hi All,

Can anybody give an update for my query above.. please...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Kiran..

Edited by: Kiran online on Nov 15, 2012 9:16 PM

Edited by: Kiran online on Nov 15, 2012 9:58 PM
  • 4. Re: Form application freeze - SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT parameters
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    FORMS_TIMEOUT and heartbeat are only applicable via web-deployed forms. So if you are deploying C/S which I guess you are doing with citrix FORMS_TIMEOUT isn't applicable. Even if it were if you'd hit the limit you'd get a error "FRM-XYZ Unable to communicate with runtime process" as the forms runtime on would simply be terminated.

as for sqlnet.expire_time take a look here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14213/sqlnet.htm#sthref479

You'd get a ORA-3114 if you'd hit that limit. Of course if you'd hit the limit and have a infinite loop in your on-error trigger then this could be the problem ;)

cheers
  • 5. Re: Form application freeze - SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME and FORMS_TIMEOUT parameters
    754567 Newbie
    Hi All,

Any further thoughts.. on this... is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kiran Raj

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points