This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 8:46 AM by Paul M. RSS

Unable to connect to Database in Oracle 10g Forms??

968376 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Team,

I have installed Oracle 10g Express Edition on my laptop with default SYSTEM and SYS users and Password – tiger and database name - XE. I am able to work with this with no issues.

Moreover, I have installed Oracle 10g Developer Suite also. When I am trying to open Form Builder and connecting to database, its error out.

Clarify my questions which are listed below.

     will the username and password for connecting to Database in Form builder are as same which I used in Oracle 10g Express edition?
     What is the host name in addition to username, password which I mentioned in question 1??
     Do I need to modify tnsnames.ora and listeners.ora files ??
     What are the additional things should I need to configure to make the forms running smoothly??

Kindly suggest your valuable solutions for the above queries.

PFA for your reference.

Thanks in Advance 
  • 1. Re: Unable to connect to Database in Oracle 10g Forms??
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    When I am trying to open Form Builder and connecting to database, its error out.
    Which exact error do you get ?
         will the username and password for connecting to Database in Form builder are as same which I used in Oracle 10g Express edition?
    To test the connection, yes, but you should never use SYS or SYSTEM users to work with your forms, you should create your own.
         Do I need to modify tnsnames.ora and listeners.ora files ??
    You have to configure a TNS entry within tnsnames.ora in Forms HOME to point to your database.
         What is the host name in addition to username, password which I mentioned in question 1??
    The one you configured above.
  • 2. Re: Unable to connect to Database in Oracle 10g Forms??
    968376 Newbie
    1) Error which I am getting while connecting Form Builder

TNS: Could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

2) where should I create users to use in Forms?? If I create in Oracle 10g Express edition, will they work properly in Oracle 10g forms builder ?

3) how should I configure?? Can you paste the code which will work?? or can you show me the text file by taking example?

4) tell me clearly about the configuration mainly about tnsname and listener. I am facing most of the difficulties here itself.
  • 3. Re: Unable to connect to Database in Oracle 10g Forms??
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    2) where should I create users to use in Forms??
    Within the database.
    If I create in Oracle 10g Express edition, will they work properly in Oracle 10g forms builder ?
    Yes.
    3) how should I configure??
    You can use Net Configuration Assistant from Forms menu. Or you can add lines like the following to tnsnames.ora (Forms HOME) :
    XE =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <machine name>)(PORT = 1521))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
        )
      )
    4) tell me clearly about the configuration mainly about tnsname and listener.
    The listener is a "server" process, so it's not relevant from Forms point of view. It is from database point of view, but you shouldn't need to do anything about it.
    You only need to configure tnsnames.ora, as already said.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points