This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 9:57 AM by user346369 RSS

forms resolution problem.

Maahjoor Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear all,

i have installed oracle developer 10g suite on windows 2003 server with oracle 10g database r2.

i have develop an hrms application.

i have the screen resolution problem. on some screen it comes fit., and on some screen it have some portion hide either the width or the height.
the java apllet area is small i think. how could i correct this problem?
i have tried the width and height parameter in the formweb.cfg file, but again on some monitors, it is fixed, and on some it is not?

any suggession please?

regards.
  • 1. Re: forms resolution problem.
    Prabodh Guru
    Maahjoor
    i have installed oracle developer 10g suite on windows 2003 server with oracle 10g database r2.
    i have develop an hrms application.

i have the screen resolution problem. on some screen it comes fit., and on some screen it have some portion hide either the width or the height.
    the java apllet area is small i think. how could i correct this problem?
    i have tried the width and height parameter in the formweb.cfg file, but again on some monitors, it is fixed, and on some it is not?

any suggession please?>
    Unlike in client-server versions of Forms the web Forms do not scale according to the client monitor's resolution.
    You have to fix the applet size as you has already tried. These are dimensions that apply to all clients.
    If the Forms are wider than the size of the applet window then you have to re-arrange the items on the canvas to fit in the applet dimensions.
    You have to adjust the client resolution to display the applet window, this helps is some cases not all.

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: forms resolution problem.
    Maahjoor Newbie
    thanks you dear,

besides, i saw somewhere that the following could help,
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    there is a applet parameter called clientDPI; if your forms are centimeter based you can increase this parameter,
    and the forms are zoomed. all you have to do is edit your basejpi / basejini and the formsweb.cfg to pass
    the clientDPI to the applet:

in basexyz:

<OBJECT classid="%jpi_classid%"

[...]
    <PARAM NAME="clientDPI" VALUE="%clientDPI%">
    [...]
    <EMBED SRC="" PLUGINSPAGE="%jpi_download_page%"
    [...]
    clientDPI="%clientDPI%"

and in the formsweb.cfg in your config section:

[my_config]
    clientDPI=120

If you don't want to specify it in the formsweb.cfg you can pass it directly to the forms servlet:

http://ias/forms/frmservlet?config=my_config&clientDPI=120&....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i try it, but invain, or may be i failed in proper configuration.
    please suggest.
  • 3. Re: forms resolution problem.
    Prabodh Guru
    I have not had the occasion to use clientDPI. As I have understood it, this parameter is useful to correct distorted displays and not for dimension of the form. However, I may be wrong.
    I will leave it to members who are better equipped to respond to this parameter and its use.

See {thread:id=2342625} .

Cheers,
    PS : {thread:id=2415468}

Edited by: Prabodh on Dec 3, 2012 12:12 PM
  • 4. Re: forms resolution problem.
    user346369 Expert
    You need to design your form no larger than will fit on the user's monitor with the lowest screen resolution settings. The forms designed by my work group targets monitor screens set to 800 x 600 resolution, and I have found that a window size of 784x442 pixels will fit within a browser window. Users with poor eyesight will set their monitors to run like that so they can see the text on the screen more easily.

Do NOT mess with ClientDPI. When you change that, it affects ALL forms running on your server, and it screws up the relationship between boilerplate text and data fields. The ONLY place I found ClientDPI to be useful is when running Web Forms from a Mac. On those platforms, we found that adding this to the URL: &clientdpi=94 enabled Mac users to see all the data on a form without boilerplate colliding into data fields, and to allow the text to be seen within the data fields. For Windows platforms, the default clientDPI value works fine, which I think is 96.

Edit: I added a post to this thread with a link to an image showing the affects of ClientDPI on Windows and Macintosh platforms: Re: Can you create Forms app. to work in all screen resolutions.

Edited by: Steve Cosner on Dec 3, 2012 9:54 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points