This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 2:07 PM by user809303 RSS

HOW MUCH MEMORY AND CPU ARE NEEDED FOR APEX ?

user809303 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi.
I have to setup an environment for APEX, with Linux RedHat and ORACLE 11.g, APEX 4.2.
The application will be used by 50 users, so it is not big.
I have no idea of the resource needed, i.e CPU/CORE and MEMORY.
Do you have a rough idea?
I would use the same server for WEB SERVER (Oracle http server) and DATABASE.
Thanks
Emidio
  • 1. Re: HOW MUCH MEMORY AND CPU ARE NEEDED FOR APEX ?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I have to setup an environment for APEX, with Linux RedHat and ORACLE 11.g, APEX 4.2.
    What distribution or Oracle are you talking about? Enterprise? SE? XE? If it's XE, then the database only can use 1GB of memory, so that answer is simple. A few years back I was hired to create several custom database applications for a company. They'd never used Oracle so had nothing on site. To minimize their investment while I was bringing the first apps from development to production, I picked up an HP Proliant DL360 G3 from eBay and installed Fedora and 10G XE on it. The server was a dinosaur even then with only a pair of single-core Xeon processors (XE only uses one anyway), and 4GB of RAM. It served as a production server for about a year before I hosted the database on a server from the current millennium. Pretty much any enterprise server you were to purchase now would exceed the specs of that box, so if you're using XE, it should work.

If you are using SE or Enterprise server, then the simple answer is that more memory improves performance. On the box described above, they'd have been able to use 2-3 times the memory XE did and still leave some for the OS, but more would be better.
  • 2. Re: HOW MUCH MEMORY AND CPU ARE NEEDED FOR APEX ?
    user809303 Newbie
    Hi Mattew, I'd use Enterprise, server, so I'm worrying about the memory itself used by OP Sys, Oracle Instances (SGA, ..), and the fact there will be 50 users, in case concurrent, so I was thinking 8 core and 16-32 GB RAM.
    I'm wondering if it is enough, the machine is not Virtual one, so If I make a mistake, is not possible to remediate.
  • 3. Re: HOW MUCH MEMORY AND CPU ARE NEEDED FOR APEX ?
    matthew_morris Expert
    50 users is a pittance to Oracle. With that few users, the primary memory usage will come from the buffer cache, sort operations, and so on. The more memory you allocate to Oracle, the more operations occur in memory vs on disk. Offhand, the only way I can see 50 users taxing the memory a server with 16GB of RAM would be if your tables are huge and you run large numbers of parallel operations simultaneously. Even then, that just means that more of them will occur on disk. Oracle won't have a problem when operations can't occur in memory, they simply won't happen quite as fast.

Given a well-designed database and application, the specs you list should provide acceptable performance. Mind you, a poorly designed database and/or application can make Oracle perform badly no matter the level of resources thrown at it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points