This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 3:58 PM by EdStevens RSS

Backing up Oracle database files

User498565-OC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Quick question.......If I set the oracle database into Archivelog mode, can I use a backup software like Symantec or ARCServe to backup the directory where all the database files are located to include archiveredo logs? Would this be an acceptable way of backing up the database without using RMAN? Reason I ask is if incase we have a total system failure, I would like to rebuild the server, install Oracle with the same instance name and install directory, and simply restore the database files and be up and running. Thanks in advaned for your help.
  • 1. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    Marcus Rangel Journeyer
    Only if you shutdown your database and kept it down for the whole duration of the backup process. But this is still a bad idea. Why not use RMAN ?
  • 2. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    Niket Kumar Pro
    No,other tools Symantec or ARCServe will not work with archivelog.
    only rman is helpful....

if your database is important then you need to start using standby database which can be used with one failure....

one thing you can do

use symantec or arcserver to take directory structure backup rest oracle backup you can resore from rman.
  • 3. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    >
    Quick question.......If I set the oracle database into Archivelog mode, can I use a backup software like Symantec or ARCServe to backup the directory where all the database files are located to include archiveredo logs? Would this be an acceptable way of backing up the database without using RMAN?
    >

Only in 2 cases:
    1. Offline backup - when Oracle instance is stopped.
    2. User Managed backup:
    1.1. you issue ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP;
    1.2. Symantec or ARCServe start backup the directory where all the database files are located.
    1.3. you issue ALTER TABLESPACE END BACKUP;

You can backup archived logs as files with Symantec or ARCServe. But it may be dangerous for the last archived log that can be in not finished copying state.

You should not try to backup controlfiles directly. Rather call ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE and backup the copy with Symantec or ARCServe.

RMAN does great deal of these chores automatically.

>
    Reason I ask is if incase we have a total system failure, I would like to rebuild the server, install Oracle with the same instance name and install directory, and simply restore the database files and be up and running. Thanks in advaned for your help.
    >

incase you have a total system failure, I would like to rebuild the server, install Oracle with the same instance name and directories, and simply restore the database with RMAN commands:
    RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM <location>;
    RESTORE DATABASE MyDB WITH RECOVERY;

Also, there are so called DB agents for Symantec or ARCServe that use RMAN under the hood, you just point and click for restore.
  • 4. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    Richard Harrison . Expert
    Hi,
    You'd can just do a normal backup using any backp software in archive log mode. You just have to make sure you run

Alter database begin backup;

Before the backup and

Alter database end backup;

Afterwards.

This is the really old way of doing things. Nowadays it's difficult to justify not using rman it's better in every way than other solutions. Most vendors even have an oracle module in addition to the standard backup tool which will often use rman anyway.

Regards,
    Harry
  • 5. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    User498565-OC Newbie
    Thanks for all the info!!!

Edited by: 974680 on Dec 3, 2012 10:59 AM
  • 6. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    Max Seleznev Explorer
    Sure you can.

While I definetly recommend using rman backup as the one that provides a bunch of convinient and useful features it's absolutely possible to use third party tools (or even standard OS commands) to do hot backup of Oracle database in archivelog mode.

You'll have to switch the whole database of individual tablespaces (one-by-one) in hot backup mode
    ALTER DATABASE BEGIN BACKUP;
    perform the backup with a tool of your choice then switch database/tablespaces into normal mode again:
    ALTER DATABASE END BACKUP;
    You can read the following [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/statements_1004.htm#i2150230]document.

God knows how world survived before Oracle introduced RMAN in version 8. I bet some people on this board remember there were Oracle versions before that.
  • 7. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    phaeus Pro
    Hello,
    you can do such a Backup. But a restart will emotional many caches and Otter Things in the Database. Also in a restore Operation it is up to you to restore what is needed. A Otter Thing in that Case (One Backup) in a Desaster you are missing archivelogs.

Also you are missing Backup Features such Compressor or Block Media recovery.

regards
    Peter
  • 8. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    974680 wrote:
    Quick question.......If I set the oracle database into Archivelog mode, can I use a backup software like Symantec or ARCServe to backup the directory where all the database files are located to include archiveredo logs? Would this be an acceptable way of backing up the database without using RMAN? Reason I ask is if incase we have a total system failure, I would like to rebuild the server, install Oracle with the same instance name and install directory, and simply restore the database files and be up and running. Thanks in advaned for your help.
    First you want to run your database in archive mode , which mean RMAN will give ability to restore your database when the failure you are talking about happened , no need to use other backup tools , Oracle gave you lot of backup ways all you have to do is choose what you want , RMAN gave you lot of feature that not included in any other software .
  • 9. Re: Backing up Oracle database files
    EdStevens Guru
    974680 wrote:
    The proper way to achieve your goal would be to use rman to backup the database, then use those other tools to backup the backups that were created by rman.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points