This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 6:41 AM by 746690 RSS

difference in OIM installers

906825 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Experts,

During software download on oracle, I see following two types of installer under ‘Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g Media Pack for Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit)’
1. Oracle Identity Management
Many version of this…
And
2. Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0)

My requirement is to install oracle identity manger on windows server and then integrate with ADS and Exchange for user provisioning.

Query – What is the difference between this two installer types and which one I should download keeping in my requirement mentioned above?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: difference in OIM installers
    746690 Explorer
    Hi,

IDM Suite 11.1.1.5.0 consist of - [ Oracle Directory Server ( earlier sun one ldap server ) like AD with few other components  ]
    ==================================================================================
    Oracle Internet Directory (OID)
    Oracle Virtual Directory (OVD)
    Oracle Directory Services Manager (ODSM)
    Oracle Directory Integration Platform (ODIP)
    Oracle Identity Federation (OIF)

Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0) consist of - [ OAM ( single sign on 11g ), used for single sign on capabilities including for policy implementations ]
    ==============================================================================================================
    Oracle Identity Manager
    Oracle Access Manager
    Oracle Adaptive Access Manager
    Oracle Identity Navigator
    Oracle Entitlements Server

All these components can be installed separately to get functionality according to your need.

For your requirement - " install oracle identity manger on windows server and then integrate with ADS and Exchange for user provisioning."

you need IDM - Oracle Virtual Directory (OVD) only which you can say work as a main interface for n numbers of directory servers like AD, OID etc.

Make sure for IDM, you need to download 11.1.1.2.0 & 11.1.1.5.0 versions, because 11.1.1.5.0 is only the patch which is applied on top of 11.1.1.2.0.

So first download IDM 11.1.1.2.0 & 11.1.1.5.0
    install IDM 11.1.1.2.0
    upgrade 11.1.1.2.0 to 11.1.1.5.0
    start OVD components - ( as per your requirements this is only you needed )

Hope this will help.

Regards
    Mukesh Negi
    http://weblogicserveradministration.blogspot.in

Edited by: MukeshNegi on Dec 4, 2012 9:33 AM
  • 2. Re: difference in OIM installers
    906825 Newbie
    Thanks Mukesh,

I guess it would be better if i go with 'Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0) '.

Please suggest.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: difference in OIM installers
    746690 Explorer
    it depends on your requirement. you can use either single or both like -

If your requirement is - your applications authenticate via AD ( external ldap server ) only then you can use only IDM-OVD ( OVD is used if there are multiple external ldap servers like OID, AD etc and you want some of your users authenticate via OID and some users via AD and some by others if there any, in that case OVD work as front end gateway to redirect requests accordingly to back end ldap server )

if you want single sign on ( users will sign on, on one of the protected application and other urls will be accessed without login ) and want to implement some policies like to protect some specific url's or resources then you can use 'Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0).

If you want to use both then case would be -

users will access some url, 'Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0) will identify if url is protected under some policy or not, if yes, authentication page displayed, user will enter credentials, it will be authenticate via backend ldap server ( AD in your case ) , once authenticate, 'Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0) will identify if you have privilege to access that url, if yes the page will be displayed, 'Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g (11.1.1.5.0) will set cookies also which will not ask you to user/password further for other application url's.

Thanks
    Mukesh Negi

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points