1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 7:08 AM by Prabodh RSS

Changing Apex scenario to http server or listener from XE installation.

Andres Vilallave
      Hi!.
      I have installed Oracle 11g XE . After this , i have upgraded to Apex 4.2 All it's working fine, but..... by default XE installs and configure apex to use embebed pl/sql gateway.
      In this scenario, the images are stored directly in the database within the oracle XML DB repository. This may be a problem because XE have a 11GB limit and my apex aplication is simple, but it may upload pictures for customers, etc, and in this schenma the pictures will consume space in the database instead consuming in the linux filesystem.
      Can i install HTTP server in a 11g XE and reconfigure apexr?, or can i change to apache+listener? or more easy....can i upload images outside the XML DB in my apex application easily?
      Thanks and sorry for my English.
        • 1. Re: Changing Apex scenario to http server or listener from XE installation.
          Prabodh
          I have installed Oracle 11g XE . After this , i have upgraded to Apex 4.2 All it's working fine, but..... by default XE installs and configure apex to use embebed pl/sql gateway.
          In this scenario, the images are stored directly in the database within the oracle XML DB repository. This may be a problem because XE have a 11GB limit and my apex aplication is simple, but it may upload pictures for customers, etc, and in this schenma the pictures will consume space in the database instead consuming in the linux filesystem.
          Can i install HTTP server in a 11g XE and reconfigure apexr?>
          AFAIK, OHS is a licensed product , not free. So, you may want to consider that aspect.
          , or can i change to apache+listener?
          You need a JEE Container with ApexListerner , not Apache. Unsupported but a good option is Glassfish Community Server. You may still choose to deploy Apache, in addition to JEE Container, for URL rewriting ,etc.
          or more easy....can i upload images outside the XML DB in my apex application easily?
          EPG is not the fastest webserver around.
          I would go with Apache+GF+ApexListener.

Cheers,