This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 1:22 AM by 966638 RSS

EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux

966638 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I hv upgraded EBS database to 11.2.0.3 recently with following the doc ID - 1058763.1

Now I want to move the EBS apps and database( both deployed in one server 32 bit Linux - XXXXX) to Linux 64 bit platform(both will be in one server - YYYYY).

Current OS - RHEL 5.8 32 bit
EBS - 12.1.3
DB - 11.2.0.3

Please clarify the below steps is ok ?

1 - Shutdown Apps -> Clone Apps tier -> Export Olap -> create .trc -> shutdown DB -> Copy DBF and Pfile to target server -> Install oracle 11.2.0.3 64 bit s/w with olap option
2 - Install Database 11g Products from the 11g Examples CD(Do I need to do this step) - > Set envs -> create nls/data/9idata directory
3 - Apply Additional 11.2.0.3 RDBMS patches - Do I need to apply these patches and If yes, please let me know when I need to do the post install steps - after control file creation/utlirp/utlrp//import OLAP ?

Please clarify the steps.

Thanks,
  • 1. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Please clarify the below steps is ok ?

1 - Shutdown Apps -> Clone Apps tier -> Export Olap -> create .trc -> shutdown DB -> Copy DBF and Pfile to target server -> Install oracle 11.2.0.3 64 bit s/w with olap option
    Correct.
    2 - Install Database 11g Products from the 11g Examples CD(Do I need to do this step) - > Set envs -> create nls/data/9idata directory
    Yes.
    3 - Apply Additional 11.2.0.3 RDBMS patches - Do I need to apply these patches and If yes, please let me know when I need to do the post install steps - after control file creation/utlirp/utlrp//import OLAP ?
    Yes. Apply those patches as mentioned in the same doc [ID 1058763.1] directly after "Create nls/data/9idata directory" then complete "Perform patch post-install instructions" after the upgrade.

Using Oracle EBS with a Split Configuration Database Tier on 11gR2 [ID 946413.1] -- (Option A) Migrate Linux 32-bit database to Linux x86-64

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    966638 Newbie
    Thanks a lot Hussein for the reply.

To get more clarity on additional RDBMS patches, please....

1 - I have to do the post installation of all additional RDBMS patches after the step(l - Shutdown and restart the database normally) mentioned in Option B (Linux 32 bit database to Linux x86-64) and before "section 4: Post-Migration Task" as per the the note ID:456347.1 ?
    Please help me to get a clarity ?

2 - I think I don't need to skip the post installation steps of patches 13001379 and 13366268 as am doing migration not the upgrade. I mean I hv to do the post step of both 13001379 and 13366268 patches too. ?
    ID:1058763.1 (Step 15)

Thanks,
  • 3. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    963635 wrote:
    Thanks a lot Hussein for the reply.

To get more clarity on additional RDBMS patches, please....

1 - I have to do the post installation of all additional RDBMS patches after the step(l - Shutdown and restart the database normally) mentioned in Option B (Linux 32 bit database to Linux x86-64) and before "section 4: Post-Migration Task" as per the the note ID:456347.1 ?
    Please help me to get a clarity ?
    Correct.
    2 - I think I don't need to skip the post installation steps of patches 13001379 and 13366268 as am doing migration not the upgrade. I mean I hv to do the post step of both 13001379 and 13366268 patches too. ?
    ID:1058763.1 (Step 15)
    You need to skip the post steps for those patches -- You may log a SR if you want to confirm the same with Oracle support.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 4. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    966638 Newbie
    Hussein,Thanks again

Thanks for making a clarity on this.
  • 5. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    966638 Newbie
    Hussein,

We don't need to do the post installation steps for any additional RDBMS patches.
    Current database version is 11.2.0.3 and we have already applied all the post steps of the additional RDBMS patches on database level during the upgradation to 11.2.0.3
    Only thing is, we need to apply pacth on new target home - opatch apply.

Am I Correct ?

Thanks,
  • 6. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    963635 wrote:
    Hussein,

We don't need to do the post installation steps for any additional RDBMS patches.
    Current database version is 11.2.0.3 and we have already applied all the post steps of the additional RDBMS patches on database level during the upgradation to 11.2.0.3
    Only thing is, we need to apply pacth on new target home - opatch apply.

Am I Correct ?

Thanks,
    You are correct since the post installation scripts were already applied on the source database before the migration.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 7. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    966638 Newbie
    Thanks Hussein,

My current database parameter for plsql_code_type is INTERPRETED.

SQL> show parameter PLSQL_CODE

NAME TYPE VALUE
    ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
    plsql_code_type string INTERPRETED

1 - Do I need to follow the step 1"Natively recompile PL/SQL code(optional) in section 4(Post Migration Task) in note: 456347.1 ?

Thanks,
    Salim
  • 8. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    This is an optional step and can be skipped if you do not want to have PL/SQL code natively compiled. This feature has its own challenges.

https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/enabling_native_plsql_compilat

HTH
    Srini
  • 9. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    966638 Newbie
    Thanks Srini...

I will be using the same(source)for hostname,directory structure for datafile,controlfile and redolog files for the new 64 bit platform

Please suggest me the best and recommended option:

1 - Just copy the datafile,control file,redo log file and startup upgrade->utlitrp.sql->etc..... as mentioned in http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10839/appc_linux.htm#BABEBAEE

2 - Recreate control file and follow the remaining steps.

3 - If I recreate a control file - will be getting a new DBID or I hv to change DBID to old DBID.
    and my RMAN backups will be invalid as the db will be using new DBID if I didn't change to old.

Please suggest me your comments on these .

Thanks,
    Salim
  • 10. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    963635 wrote:
    Thanks Srini...

I will be using the same(source)for hostname,directory structure for datafile,controlfile and redolog files for the new 64 bit platform

1 - Just copy the datafile,control file,redo log file and startup upgrade->utlitrp.sql->etc..... as mentioned in http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10839/appc_linux.htm#BABEBAEE

Yes pl follow the steps in Section 3 of MOS Doc 946413.1 identified above.

>
    3 - If I recreate a control file - will be getting a new DBID or I hv to change DBID to old DBID.
    and my RMAN backups will be invalid as the db will be using new DBID if I didn't change to old.

DBID is unique to every database - you cannot change the DBID to the old value. After you migrate the database, you will have to take new RMAN backups. The old RMAN backups will no longer be useful.

Thanks,
    Salim
    HTH
    Srini
  • 11. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    1 - Do I need to follow the step 1"Natively recompile PL/SQL code(optional) in section 4(Post Migration Task) in note: 456347.1 ?
    No and as mentioned in the doc this step is optional. Please see old threads for the issues with INTERPRETED value -- https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=plsql_code_type+AND+Native+AND+Hussein&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 12. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux

Your approach is OK and you do not need to care about the DBID value as long as you are using the same hostname, domain name, IP Address and directory structure.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 13. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    966638 Newbie
    Thanks a lot.

For more clarity

Migrate database without recreating controlfile as per the link(B.6.2.1 Migrating 32-Bit Database to 64-Bit Database With the Same Directory Structure for Data Files - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10839/appc_linux.htm#BABEBAEE) ?

OR

Migrate database with recreating controlfile as per the note:456347.1 ?

Please suggest which method I can apply here.

Thanks,
    Salim.
  • 14. Re: EBS R12 migration to 64 bit Linux
    OR

Migrate database with recreating controlfile as per the note:456347.1 ?

Please suggest which method I can apply here.
    This one.

Thanks,
    Hussein
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points