This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 2:03 AM by 718371 RSS

migartion of RAC

718371 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

we are planning for new hardware. Currently we are on aix 5.3 64-bit db10g r2 rac with four nodes. In future for the new hardware will be required aix 6.1 64 -bit and db10g r2 rac. Kindly suggest how this whole activity complete. Kindly share steps, docs, path etc.

Regards
  • 1. Re: migartion of RAC
    718371 Newbie
    Hello,

Can anyone reply on my post.

Regards,
  • 2. Re: migartion of RAC
    nnarimanov Newbie
    I advise you totally relocate to rhel, Oracle loves it:)
  • 3. Re: migartion of RAC
    718371 Newbie
    Hi,

Thanks for update. But we have to go with AIX 6.1. If some help is available please share.

Regards
  • 4. Re: migartion of RAC
    BonWoo, Koo Newbie
    hi !

Document 811293.1 RAC and Oracle Clusterware Best Practices and Starter Kit (AIX)

you can see My-Oracle-Support

http://support.oracle.com
  • 5. Re: migartion of RAC
    71617 Newbie
    hi,

I just completed migration Oracle RAC from 10g r2 to 11g r2 in AIX platform couple months ago.
    Since your OS go from AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1, I believe you need to consider migration oracle to 11gr2 RAC.

Installation and configuration are very different between 10g r2 and 11gr2. Read the Oracle doc 11gr2 RAC carefully before start it

-KC
  • 6. Re: migartion of RAC
    718371 Newbie
    Hi Chen,

Thanks for update. We will not upgrade database from 10g r2 to 11g r2 due some application limitation. Becuase before going to 11g r2 we have work for application as well which is some delay. Currently we have to change hardware and upgrade OS with current DB version. In second phase we will upgrade Cluster and DB from 10g r2 to 11g r2.

Regards,
  • 7. Re: migartion of RAC
    71617 Newbie
    hi,

Totally understand. This what we did without migration to 11g r2. I think it can make you life easy.

1. Your SA can use makesysb to clone AIX 5.3 to your new hardware with your Oracle RAC 10g. So, you don't have to re-install or re-configure Oracle in your new box. Your database binary and configuration should be in new box.( remember only in stay-alone network)

2. Your SA can upgraded to AIX 6.3 now. You may need to apply some patches for you Oracle 10g.

3. That all, all you need to do using database backup restore to your new box.

If you want to do this without downtime, that will be different story.

Good luck
    -KC
  • 8. Re: migartion of RAC
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi friend,

You didn't specify your current Oracle 1og R2 version. Anyway please find the Certification Matrix for the combinations

*1.Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.5.0 is not certified on IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) 7.1*
    2.Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.5.0 is certified on IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) 6.1

3.Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.4.0 is certified on IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) 6.1
    *4.Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.4.0 is not certified on IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) 7.1*

*5.Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.3.0 is not certified on IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) 7.1*
    6.Oracle Real Application Clusters 10.2.0.3.0 is certified on IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit) 6.1

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 9. Re: migartion of RAC
    718371 Newbie
    Hi ,

@chen
    {
    1. Your SA can use makesysb to clone AIX 5.3 to your new hardware with your Oracle RAC 10g. So, you don't have to re-install or re-configure Oracle in your new box. Your database binary and configuration should be in new box.( remember only in stay-alone network)

a. Is this method recommended by Oracle. ? If yes then please can you forward doc or links

How can we perform this activity with less down time ? Kindly suggest the steps.

Regards,
  • 10. Re: migartion of RAC
    71617 Newbie
    hi,

If you have question about OS upgraded, please talk to your SA, they can find doc from IBM web site, IBM have very good doc.

You can work with San Engineer and EMC, EMC can move over your current SAN storage HD path to your new box. it's only downtime you need. And than SA can work on OS upgraded on live, just need to reboot the server after OS upgraded completed.

It's depend on your current Oracle 10g version, you may need to apply patch to support AIX 7.3.

Oracle don't have any doc, because it OS and hardware upgraded. As DBA not much you have to do.

We had done this migration couple db servers in our company.

-KC
  • 11. Re: migartion of RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    apps_dba wrote:
    Hi,

we are planning for new hardware. Currently we are on aix 5.3 64-bit db10g r2 rac with four nodes. In future for the new hardware will be required aix 6.1 64 -bit and db10g r2 rac. Kindly suggest how this whole activity complete. Kindly share steps, docs, path etc.
    My suggestion:
    * Install AIX 6.1 #### Edited Due 10.2.0.5 does not support AIX 7.1
    * Install Grid Infrastructure for a Cluster (aka Oracle Clusterware) version 11.2.0.3.
    * Install Oracle RAC 10.2.0.5
    * Configure Oracle Clusterware and Oracle RAC.

Migrating Database;
    * Create all resources of RAC database on Clusterware (you can create a database using DBCA with SAME DB_NAME using Same diskgroup Name, also you can create all Database Service on Cluster.

After create database test all resources and connection, you will stop your database (remove only database files) and just move database from Old Server to New Server ( only database Files) start your database and everthing will work.

Are you using ASM on current env?
    If yes... you can stop database on OLD Server, remap the Luns used by ASM to New Server and start diskgroup.

Note: When you start diskgroup using OLD Luns, all Luns will be upgraded to ASM 11.2.0.3 and this is irreversible. Backup is always mandatory.

Is a easy job.

Remember : Grid Infrastructure for a Clusterware 11.2.0.3 support Oracle Database 10.1/10.2/11.1/11.2.

If you install Oracle Clusterware 10.2.0.5 on future you will need upgrade it to 11.2.0.3 that is a hard task, and many issue can show up. For that reason install a fresh installation of Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.3 is the wise path (less painful)

If you already have installed GI 11.2.0.3 and wants upgrade your RAC to 11.2.0.3 is a pretty easy task. Just Install Oracle RAC 11.2.0.3 and use DBUA.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Dec 6, 2012 5:37 PM
  • 12. Re: migartion of RAC
    698658 Newbie
    Levi,
    could You elaborate about that Your statement
    >
    Note: When you start diskgroup using OLD Luns, all Luns will be upgraded to ASM 11.2.0.3 and this is irreversible. Backup is always mandatory.
    >

What do You mean exactly ?
    Regards
    GregG
  • 13. Re: migartion of RAC
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    GregG wrote:
    Levi,
    could You elaborate about that Your statement
    >
    >

What do You mean exactly ?
    You're right, this statement is vague, I apologize.

I mean: If he use same Luns from Diskgroup of Old Server on New Server (i.e RAC ASM 10.2 on Grid Infrastructure (ASM) 11.2), we must be aware of COMPATIBLE.ASM parameter.

The value for the disk group COMPATIBLE.ASM attribute determines the minimum software version for an ASM instance that uses the disk group.
    Advancing the disk group ASM compatibility settings enables you to use the new ASM features that are available in a later release.

The compatible attribute settings for a disk group can only be advanced; you cannot revert to a lower compatibility setting.

Note: If you start diskgroup using COMPATIBLE.ASM 11.2 on that diskgroup using Luns from ASM 10.2 these Lun will be be upgraded to ASM 11.2.0.3 and this is irreversible. Backup of all data on that Diskgroup is always mandatory.

Hope make it clear now.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 14. Re: migartion of RAC
    698658 Newbie
    Thank You, thats clear :) .
    If I understood You correctly normaly, changing compatibility asm parameter to higher value is safe (no data loss), so backup is for safety reasons, right ?
    I'm prepering my 10.2 -> 11.2 RAC upgrade and as a step I'll mount 10.2 ASM diskgroup in ASM 11.2 instance :) .
    Regards
    GregG
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points