This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 2:59 AM by Osama_Mustafa RSS

common problem but do help

NickRobheart Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
My environment:
Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit version)..

Looks like this issue seem to be resolved in many threads but I being a novice really didnt find the language to be simple. I normally use a home desktop in which I installed the SQL software . It was running fine before but since 2 days.
I have the error "ORA-01034: Oracle not available" when I login.

So just to let you know, I normally open the software using command search "sqlplus'' in Windows+R
It opens a black windows saying
SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Dec 4 20:49:13 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

and then normally I try to connect using the
Username: System
Password: ******

Then, it throws me the message
ORA-01034: Oracle not available
ORA-27101 shared memory realm does not exist

A computer restarted fixed the problem once but this time I have no luck.
I am just starting to study by my own.
I just downloaded the software and I am practicing at home.
No important application running but this issue is driving me crazy.
Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance
Nikhil
  • 1. Re: common problem but do help
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    set ORACLE_SID=<SID>
    sqlplus / as sysdba
    startup ;
  • 2. Re: common problem but do help
    AlexandarVu Newbie
    Since restart solved your problem once, it means that Oracle service is set to automatic start.
    In this case, something crashed Oracle service, and you got Oracle not avaliable message.
    So you can check OS and Oracle logs for the cause of crash.
  • 3. Re: common problem but do help
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    In this case, something crashed Oracle service, and you got Oracle not avaliable message.
    Thank you for remind me with that

for OP Post 50 lines of alert log please
  • 4. Re: common problem but do help
    jgarry Guru
    This message can come from the incorrect ORACLE_HOME (Edit: D'Oh! I meant ORACLE_SID - but it can also come from multiple homes, so it could find the sqlplus binary, but for the wrong SID) environment being set. Oracle looks at several places to figure out where all the binaries and such are, on Windows the normal place is in the registry. So if for some reason this is not correct in the registry, you can set it manually in a bat file.

So what you need to do is check if the service is started up. While you are there, check if it is set to autostart. If it is not started, start it. If there are problems, look in the windows event viewer for application.

If none of that helps, we have to ask, have you installed anything new, including reinstalling Oracle? Check your PATH variable to see if %ORACLE_HOME%\bin is on it, and is correct. Cut-and-paste here the output of the set command in a command window. There is a lot more help we can give depending on your responses.

Edited by: jgarry on Dec 4, 2012 10:35 AM
  • 5. Re: common problem but do help
    NickRobheart Newbie
    Just weird !
    This morning a restart of the computer has fixed it again.
    But I cant be sure enough to tell you if this re occurs or not.

However, when you ask me to enter this code..Is it something i need to type in the same black windows and check or somewhere else in the OS ?
    Sorry if it sounds lame but do consider me being a absolute novice learning things.
    Thanks to other for their prompt responses.
  • 6. Re: common problem but do help
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Seems you are new to Oracle Database , There's Alertlog for oracle , you will log file called alertSID.log

Alertlog Location 10g :
    $ORACLE_BASE/admin/bdump/alertlog
    post 50 lines
    11g :
    $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms/SID/SID/trace

Post 50 lines
  • 7. Re: common problem but do help
    NickRobheart Newbie
    While I was working it disconnected again from Oracle and when tried to connect again its back with the same ORA-01034 error.
    I have gone through the windows event viewer and found few warnings for Oracle.xe saying
    "+The description for Event ID 16 from source Oracle.xe cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.+

+If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.+

+The following information was included with the event:+

+xe+

+the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table+"

Anyhow looks like I would have to re install the software? Do I ?
  • 8. Re: common problem but do help
    Fran Guru
    check if Oracle services is running or/and set as "automatic".

When you install Oracle database, it should be neccesary look for any error at the installation log. Did you "omit" any error when you installed it?

The easy way will be reinstall, probably you solved the error, but if you are learning, this is a good time to know how to solve problems. I encourage you to try, we are here for help you :)
  • 9. Re: common problem but do help
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Please follow my direction , post 50 lines of alertlog .
  • 10. Re: common problem but do help
    NickRobheart Newbie
    Fran wrote:
    check if Oracle services is running or/and set as "automatic".

When you install Oracle database, it should be neccesary look for any error at the installation log. Did you "omit" any error when you installed it?

The easy way will be reinstall, probably you solved the error, but if you are learning, this is a good time to know how to solve problems. I encourage you to try, we are here for help you :)
    I appreciate it Fran.
    So In services.msc , I found only these services listed in reg to Oracle,

OracleJobSchedulerXE is set to Automatic and is Started.
    OracleMTSRecoveryService is set to Manual and is NOT Started.
    OracleService XE is set to Automatic and is Started.
    OracleXEClrAgent is set to Automatic and is Started.
    OracleXETNSListener is set to Manual and is NOT Started.

But just so you know, I have tried to set all these above services to Start and Automatic already before and restarted the computer but no go.
    And no I haven't "omit" any error when I install it, it was a a successful installation firstly.
  • 11. Re: common problem but do help
    Fran Guru
    OracleXETNSListener should be running.

like osama told you, when you get the error again, post the last 50 lines of alert.log ($ORACLE_ BASE/diag/rdbms/sid/SID/trace/ALERT<SID>.LOG also "select * from v$diag_info" or "sho parameter background_dump_dest"?

also:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\oracle_home_name check for ORA_SID_AUTOSTART and tell us the value of this key.
  • 12. Re: common problem but do help
    NickRobheart Newbie
    Fran wrote:
    OracleXETNSListener should be running.

like osama told you, when you get the error again, post the last 50 lines of alert.log ($ORACLE_ BASE/diag/rdbms/sid/SID/trace/ALERT<SID>.LOG also "select * from v$diag_info" or "sho parameter background_dump_dest"?

also:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\oracle_home_name check for ORA_SID_AUTOSTART and tell us the value of this key.
    I have started the OracleXETNSListener and set to Automatic and after a restart it logged in and after few seconds it kicked me off and again said as not connect to Oracle.
    In my registry I dont find the directory exactly as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\oracle_home_name
    I have it as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ now i have two directories here saying KEY_XE as one folder and OracleMTSRecoveryService as another folder.
    So thats why I was not able to get to that directory as u have mentioned in your reply Fran, sorry.

Wish someone would take a remote access and get this sorted.
    With all due respect, Fran and Osama
    I don't know where exactly I would find a alert.log in my system or how to get to that file or directory.
    If you can direct me with particular steps, yes I'm eager to learn and solve .
    I know I'm asking too much but : /
  • 13. Re: common problem but do help
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Just One Question Why you don't want to post alertSID.log is this secret
  • 14. Re: common problem but do help
    NickRobheart Newbie
    Osama_mustafa wrote:
    Just One Question Why you don't want to post alertSID.log is this secret
    Because I dont know where to find it Osama.
    I tried to search in registry, in program files, windows search, goggled it too but I couldn't get any file in my computer which says alterlog.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points