This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 2:48 PM by 979866 RSS

Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen

978018 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am in need of some guidance as I do not have a DB Admin. I needed to setup a TEST envoirnment to test migration from Oracle Database 11g Standard Edition to Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0. For this purpose I installed RHEL6 and then Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition, finally I recovered backup of my production server RMAN to this TEST server and upgraded to Enterprise Edition DB.

Our users access the DB on LIVE server through an ORACLE APEX 3.2 Application, the same was imported when I recovered the RMAN Backup on to the TEST server, after setting up LSNRCTL files the application was up and running and was working fine. The next task was to upgrade APEX 3.2 to APEX 4.2, I followed the installation steps provided in the documentation with the standard switches:

Full development environment. Run apexins.sql passing the following four arguments in the order shown:

@apexins SYSAUX SYSAUX TEMP /i/

I monitored the installation process onscreen as best as I could and the installation was fine, however I am unable to locate any logs. Moving on, I used the following to further test the installation:

You can verify the validity of an Oracle Application Express installation by running the following query:

SELECT STATUS FROM DBA_REGISTRY
WHERE COMP_ID = 'APEX';

SQL> SELECT STATUS FROM DBA_REGISTRY WHERE COMP_ID = 'APEX';

STATUS
-----------
VALID

Finally, I restarted the DB and LSNRCTL, everything works great from SQL prompt, the DB is working fine, TNSPING and TRCROUTE work fine. However, herein begins my problem as I am getting a blank page at:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/
http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex_admin requests a username and password but failed to accept Admin u/s & pass with the following "A username and password are being requested by http://127.0.0.1:8080. The site says: "XDB""

My application ID is 110 so the page at:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=110 gives me a login page but neither does it log me in nor does it interact as if broken somewhere. And the page is all out of proportion as well. I searched for 2 days for a solution and have played as much as I can with:

@apxldimg.sql /mypath & (have done it with success a few times but without resolution of the blank page and non working page)

I have gotten absolutely nowhere. But as http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex is leading me to a blank page at address http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:13790940594234 I am assuming that the application works fine but something is either wrong with the images or linkages somewhere.

Support would be highly appriciated.

Thanks & Regards.
  • 1. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    Prabodh Guru
    Step 1:
    When connected as SYSDBA, run
    ALTER USER ANONYMOUS ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
    If problem persists
    Step 2:
    SELECT DBMS_XDB.GETHTTPPORT FROM DUAL;
    If the port number returns 0, the Oracle XML DB HTTP Server is disabled. To enable perform step 3.

Step 3:
    EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETHTTPPORT(8080);
    COMMIT;
    Enable 11g network services following steps here http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/otn_install.htm#BEHGBHDF

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    Kiran Expert
    Hello 975015,

Can you post the output of:
    SQL>@apxldimg.sql /tmp
    Please also post :
    1) Directory where APEX installation was unzipped.
    2) Parameter passed to the above command.

Regards,
    Kiran
  • 3. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    978018 Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

Thanks for your reply, however I have tried the suggestion without any luck. Account 'Anonymous' was already unlocked and ports open and responding.

Regards.
  • 4. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    978018 Newbie
    Hi Kiran,

The output is:

SQL> @apxldimg.sql /tmp

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

old 1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as '&1/apex/images'
    new 1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as '/tmp/apex/images'

Directory created.

declare
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-22288: file or LOB operation FILEOPEN failed
    No such file or directory
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.XMLTYPE", line 296
    ORA-06512: at line 15

Commit complete.

timing for: Load Images
    Elapsed: 00:00:00.13

Directory dropped.

SQL>

1) Path where installation files are -> /db/11gMediaR1/apex
    2) Parameters passed to the above command at upgrade -> SQL>@apxldimg.sql /dbengine/11g/apex (completed successfully).

Regards.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    Kiran Expert
    Hello 975015,

>
    1) Path where installation files are -> /db/11gMediaR1/apex
    2) Parameters passed to the above command at upgrade -> SQL>@apxldimg.sql /dbengine/11g/apex (completed successfully).
    >

The correct command for upgrading the images should be:
    SQL> @apxldimg.sql /db/11gMediaR1
    Hope it helps!
    Regards,
    Kiran
  • 6. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    978018 Newbie
    Hi Kiran,

Your continued effort to help is most appreciated. However, kindly accept my apology as I posted the command incorrectly when I replied to your post when in fact the command to upgrade the images was indeed executed correctly from the installation folder.

It still does not make a difference.
  • 7. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    Kiran Expert
    Hello 975015,

>
    Your continued effort to help is most appreciated. However, kindly accept my apology as I posted the command incorrectly when I replied to your post when in fact the command to upgrade the images was indeed executed correctly from the installation folder.
    >

I just want to point you out that if you have unzipped the APEX installation in the folder */db/11gMediaR1* then while doing installation you fire the apex installation sql file by logging into sqlplus from the folder */db/11gMediaR1/apex* but when you configure the EPG or upgrade the images you have to pass the parameter path of the directory where you unzipped the installation which is */db/11gMediaR1* in your case.

For example:
    >
    SQL> @apxldimg.sql /tmp

Directory created.

declare
    ERROR at line 1:

Commit complete.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.13

Directory dropped.
    >

This is what you got when you fired the command which indicates that the upgrading of images failed! But why?
    Keenly observe:
    >
    >

when you pass the parameter path of the directory where you unzipped the installation to *@apex_epg_config.sql* while configuring the EPG or *@apxldimg.sql* while updating the images the *&1* parameter in these sql scripts are set to it.

Why did the above command failed with error?
    >
    declare
    ERROR at line 1:
    >

When you passed */tmp* to the command *@apxldimg.sql* it tried to find the images stored in the */tmp/apex/images* folder but it didn't found any images there! Why?
    As you have unzipped the apex installation in the folder */db/11gMediaR1* and not in */tmp*.

>
    I posted the command incorrectly when I replied to your post when in fact the command to upgrade the images was indeed executed correctly from the installation folder.
    >

Say you have correctly executed the command passing the correct parameter but even a slightest mistake will not load images.
    For example: If you have passed */db/11gMediaR1/* then the *&1* parameter would be */db/11gMediaR1//apex/images* which is again incorrect.

So, please try once more with the correct parameter and post the output.

It's now late about asking this question but still(taking into point the discussion):
    What type of installation are we talking about?(this long)
    <ul><li>Oracle HTTP Server(OHS) based</li>
    <li>Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG) based</li>
    <li>Oracle APEX Listener based</li></ul>

In order to get accurate/appropriate response you should include at least following information with your question:
    <ul>
    <li>Full APEX version</li>
    <li>Full Database version</li>
    <li>APEX Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener)</li>
    <li>Browser(s) and version(s) used</li>
    <li>Operating system with version, architecture(32/64)</li>
    </ul>
    The above information will help the forum members to ascertain the problem context and post most relevant response.

Please read the [url https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Forums/Forums+FAQ]FAQ and [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=1324]forum instructions for more information on using OTN forums effectively.

Please perform a [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search!default.jspa]forum search before posting a question as this will help reduce duplicate threads.

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of *975015* as the members of the forum would like to know whom they are talking to.

Please mark the reply as helpful or correct as this will help other members on the forum with similar question.

Hope it helps!
    Regards,
    Kiran
  • 8. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    Krunal Explorer
    Sometimes blank screen occurs if javascript is disabled in your browser.
    Would you please verify that.?
  • 9. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    978018 Newbie
    Kiran,

I followed the instructions and despite being reasonably sure that I had executed the command correctly, I tried it again and here's the output:

SQL> @apxldimg.sql /db/11gR1Media

new 1: create directory APEX_IMAGES as '/db/11gR1Media/apex/images'

Directory created.

Commit complete.

Elapsed: 00:07:46.22

Directory dropped.

SQL>

That still does not work. I also fired up apex_verify.sql and have uploaded the html to *this location [http://fmu.gov.pk/apex_verify.html]* and hopefully it will answer all your other queries.

Thanks & Regards.

EDIT: Kiran, I am new to this forum, how does the helpful marking work? Am I supposed to mark all responds as 'helpful' as they have made an attempt or do I mark only those that actually help solve the issue?

Edited by: 975015 on 05-Dec-2012 22:44
  • 10. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    Prabodh Guru
    If running the apxldimg is not helping, and you still have this blank page problem then try uploading the images the unorthodox way.
    Pre-requisite, you must know the SYSTEM or XDB password
    1. Connect as SYSDBA and run the following
    SQL>EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETFTPPORT(2100);
    SQL>COMMIT;
    2. Open IE and enter the URL . Use the port you set above
    ftp://127.0.0.1:2100
    3. When prompted enter the SYSTEM / XDB , followed by resp. password.
    4. Directory will be listed.
    5. Click on Page -> Open FTP site in Windows Explorer.
    6. If prompted enter the user and password as in step 3 above.
    7. You should see i or images folder, depending on how you installed.
    8. You can Copy/paste the contents of the apex installables images folder directly into the i or images folder.

9. After work is done disable the ftp port with
    SQL>EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETFTPPORT(0);
    SQL>COMMIT;
    Cheers,
  • 11. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    978018 Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have taken a sick day off today and then there's the weekend. Can check on your suggestions on Monday and will confirm accordingly.

Regards.
  • 12. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    978018 Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

Please excuse me as I could not respond earlier. I was finally able to fix the problem with the numerous suggestions and solutions that have been provided here, on other forums and at oracle support. However, I do not know what fixed the problem as after trying my utmost last Wednesday (5th Dec 2012) to fix the issue and still being unable to do so, I had turned the server off. When I started the server, oracle database & listener on Monday, I could access the apex page and all other application pages locally.

I had to reset the network rules to ensure that the application was available externally and then I enabled internet access so now the application is accessible globally.

I would like to thank you all, you have all been extremely helpful.

Thanks & Regards.
  • 13. Re: Upgrade from Apex 3.2 to Apex 4.2 gives a blank screen
    979866 Newbie
    Hi Kiran,

I just wanted to say "thanks"... I spent hours trying to figure out the problem... your detailed answer provided the solution... note to Oracle: upgrading shouldn't be this difficult!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points