This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 3:05 AM by Godis-Tei RSS

I am having a problem with network connection

Godis-Tei Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Colleagues,

Please I still need help; do not be annoyed

I am still in the learning proccess with the database development, and using APEX. I want to be a developer and adminstrator of Oracle Application Express databases.

But the main problem I still have is that I cannot access my database on another computer using my laptop as the server and the other one as the client. I also want to access it via the internet apart from using the LAN cable connection. I do not know how. I posted it on Apex Forum. A solution was sent to me by one contributor, which worked with the following code: EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETLISTENERLOCALACCESS(FALSE); on the LOCAL AREA NETWORK connection initially.

I later had problem with my laptop so I did new window intallation by first formatting the computer. Thereafter, when I installed Apex 11g, inspite of using the above code, I cannot access the application on another computer as before.
I will be glad if anyone would still help me

Sincerely,

Godis-Tei

Edited by: Godis-Tei on 05-Dec-2012 13:30
  • 1. Re: I am having a problem with network connection
    Prabodh Guru
    But the main problem I still have is that I cannot access my database on another computer using my laptop as the server and the other one as the client. I also want to access it via the internet apart from using the LAN cable connection. I do not know how. I posted it on Apex Forum. A solution was sent to me by one contributor, which worked with the following code: EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETLISTENERLOCALACCESS(FALSE); on the LOCAL AREA NETWORK connection initially.
    I later had problem with my laptop so I did new window intallation by first formatting the computer. Thereafter, when I installed Apex 11g, inspite of using the above code, I cannot access the application on another computer as before.
    I will be glad if anyone would still help me
    >
    First things first. Oracle Database is different from Oracle Application Express. You install Apex in an existing Oracle database instance.
    There is nothing like Apex 11g. Your Oracle RDBMS 11g (XE or other edition) refers to RDBMS and Apex numbering goes 3.x, 4.x,etc. The latest being 4.2.
    When you say you are not able to access the application
    i. Are you able to access the application from the DB server?
    ii. What do you see in the browser? What page/message?
    iii. What the URL you are using ?

After formatting your machine what all have you installed?
    a. Oracle RDBMS
    b. Which Edition of 11g. E.g. XE, StandardOne, etc.?
    b. Apex by running apxinst.sql script?

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: I am having a problem with network connection
    Godis-Tei Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

Sorry for incorrect specification. I rather installed Database 11 EX 2.0. Please what is the procedure of installing the Apex series in the Database instance?

When you say you are not able to access the application*

i. Are you able to access the application from the DB server? -- YES- on URL: http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950:1 from the DB Server, and http://169.254.164.124:8080/apex/f?p=4950:1 from other clients; having 169.254.164.124 as the IP Address of the server.

+++After formatting your machine what all have you installed?+++ -- The same as above. 11g EX 2.0. That is all I knew. I can still access from the database server but not from any client on the LAN connection.

This the browser message:- *"THE CONNECTION TO THE SERVER WAS RESET WHILE THE PAGE WAS LOADING"*

So how should I install the Apex 4.2 on the instance?

Regards

Godis-Tei

Edited by: Godis-Tei on 06-Dec-2012 09:46
  • 3. Re: I am having a problem with network connection
    Prabodh Guru
    Perform the task detailed here. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/otn_install.htm#CBHIJFJF

You have to replace APEX_040200 with the actual schema name you have in your XE database. Maybe APEX_040000.

You may want to upgrade to 4.2, which is the latest at this time, but the above step needs to be completed with the correct schema name.

Cheers,
  • 4. Re: I am having a problem with network connection
    Godis-Tei Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

I applied the following as you directed me:-
    DECLARE
    ACL_PATH VARCHAR2(4000);
    BEGIN
    -- Look for the ACL currently assigned to '*' and give APEX_040000
    -- the "connect" privilege if APEX_040000 does not have the privilege yet.

SELECT ACL INTO ACL_PATH FROM DBA_NETWORK_ACLS
    WHERE HOST = '*' AND LOWER_PORT IS NULL AND UPPER_PORT IS NULL;

IF DBMS_NETWORK_ACL_ADMIN.CHECK_PRIVILEGE(ACL_PATH, 'APEX_040000',
    'connect') IS NULL THEN
    DBMS_NETWORK_ACL_ADMIN.ADD_PRIVILEGE(ACL_PATH,
    'APEX_040000', TRUE, 'connect');
    END IF;

EXCEPTION
    -- When no ACL has been assigned to '*'.
    WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
    DBMS_NETWORK_ACL_ADMIN.CREATE_ACL('power_users.xml',
    'ACL that lets power users to connect to everywhere',
    'APEX_040000', TRUE, 'connect');
    DBMS_NETWORK_ACL_ADMIN.ASSIGN_ACL('power_users.xml','*');
    END;
    /
    COMMIT;

The procedure was successful and committed; but still connection to other clients is not successful. Where might the problem be again? Is there anything I am still lacking?

Regards,

Godis-Tei
  • 5. Re: I am having a problem with network connection
    Prabodh Guru
    If 169.254.164.124 is the IP of the server then
    a. What happens when you access the URL http://169.254.164.124:8080 from another PC on the LAN? Do you get 404-Not Found? Something else?
    b. What happens when you access the URL http://169.254.164.124:8080/apex from another PC on the LAN?Do you get 404-Not Found? Something else?

All other setups appear right from what you have said.
    EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETLISTENERLOCALACCESS(FALSE); 
    COMMIT;
    Should enable the access from other PCs.
    Are you by any chance trying to access Apex over the internet? If yes, you need to ensure that port 8080 is open/forwarded on the firewall/router.

Cheers,
  • 6. Re: I am having a problem with network connection
    Godis-Tei Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

Thanks so much for your assistance. In fact, I did all I could but still not working until I put the Firewall OFF. After that I can access apex on any computer on the LAN. But my worry is that; is it safe to put off the firewall because of access to the application?

Finally; I cannot access it on the internet. i am using Window 7 Ultimate Operating System. On the Firewall Outbond I set the port at 8080 for apex, but still I cannot acess it on the internet - whether the Firewall is ON or OFF. I need more education on how to access my database on the internet. I am looking forward for a help

Regards,

Godsi-Tei

Edited by: Godis-Tei on 10-Dec-2012 10:58

Edited by: Godis-Tei on 10-Dec-2012 11:04

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points