This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 12:42 PM by Levi-Pereira RSS

Oracle RAC 11gR2 over AIX 7.1 and v7000 storage

gsirni Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm planning to install 11gR2 RAC + ASM on 2 nodes with AIX 7.1 and V7000 storage, I was reading de prerequisites docs and I don't understand exactly if it's mandatory to install PowerHA (HACMP) or installing Grid infrastructure (Oracle Clusterware + ASM) is enough. Does Oracle Clusterware replace HACMP?. Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Oracle RAC 11gR2 over AIX 7.1 and v7000 storage
    71617 Newbie
    hi,

Both way work fine on Oracle RAC installation. Sometime, it's depend on application vendor.

For IBM HACMP you need SA to setup resource VG to share both nodes, Oracle RAC can use that VG.
    For Oracle Grid infrastructure, you need a raw device (share both nodes) to installation Clusterware and ASM, and than Oracle RAC.

-KC
  • 2. Re: Oracle RAC 11gR2 over AIX 7.1 and v7000 storage
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    user12004334 wrote:
    I'm planning to install 11gR2 RAC + ASM on 2 nodes with AIX 7.1 and V7000 storage, I was reading de prerequisites docs and I don't understand exactly if it's mandatory to install PowerHA (HACMP) or installing Grid infrastructure (Oracle Clusterware + ASM) is enough. Does Oracle Clusterware replace HACMP?. Thanks.
    No, it's not mandatory and not necessary anymore install Power HA.

Oracle Clusterware provide all resources necessary to deploy RAC architeture. (such as Cluster FS, Virtual IPs and so on).

Please follow documentation, all info that you need is there:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24614/preaix.htm#BABFCFIH

Or IBM docs:
    IBM & Oracle RAC

Note: If you decide to use Power HA you must install/configure Oracle Clusterware too, because Oracle Clusterware is mandatory to all RAC Installation even using others Cluster Vendors.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points